Solve Ring Theory Problem: Show R Has No Divisors of Zero

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that a ring with unique solutions for a given equation does not have divisors of 0 and has a unity element. The proof involves showing that the left and right identities are the same, which is done by considering the set of elements in the ring that have the property x^2=x and using cancellation to show that two elements with this property must be equal.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Let R be a ring that contains at least two elements. Suppose for each nonzero a in R, there exists a unique b in R such that aba=a.
Show that R has no divisors of 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let a*c=0 where a,c are not equal to 0.
aba=a implies aba-a=0=nac where n is any integer which implies that a(ba-1-nc)=0
I am not seeing the contradiction.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given that b is unique for each a. Show that if ac=0, aba=a then there is another value d not equal to b such that ada=a.

Next part of the question: Show that R has unity.

I need to show that there exists an element 1 of R such that 1a=a1=1 for all a in A.

We can use cancellation now that we showed R has no divisors of 0, so bab=b.

Let a_1, a_2 be nonzero. Then there exists b_1 and b_2 such that [itex]a_1 b_1 a_1 = a_1[/itex] and [itex]a_2 b_2 a_2 = a_2[/itex].

To complete the proof, I need to show that [itex] a_1 b_1 = a_2 b_2 = b_1 a_1 = b_2 a_2 [/itex], right?

I can show that [itex] b_1 a_1 = a_2 b_2 [/itex] from the fact that [itex] a_1 b_1 a_1 a_2 = a_1 a_2 = a_1 a_2 b_2 a_2 [/itex] and similarly I can show that [itex] a_1 b_1 = b_2 a_2 [/itex] but I am having trouble showing that the left and right identity are the same.

Consider the set G of all elements of the ring such that x^2=x. The products you are talking about have that property. Now consider two elements such that x^2=x and y^2=y. So x^2*y=x*y^2. Now cancel your way down to x=y.

1. What is ring theory?

Ring theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies the properties and structure of mathematical objects called rings. A ring is a set with two binary operations, usually addition and multiplication, that follow certain rules.

2. What are divisors of zero in a ring?

Divisors of zero in a ring are elements that when multiplied with another element, result in zero. In other words, they are elements that have no multiplicative inverse and cannot be divided by any other element to give a non-zero result.

3. Why is it important to show that a ring has no divisors of zero?

Showing that a ring has no divisors of zero is important because it ensures that the ring follows certain properties, such as being an integral domain. It also allows for easier and more efficient calculations and simplifications within the ring.

4. How can we prove that a ring has no divisors of zero?

To prove that a ring has no divisors of zero, we can use a proof by contradiction. We assume that there exists a divisor of zero in the ring and then show that this leads to a contradiction with the properties of a ring. This proves that the initial assumption was false and therefore, the ring has no divisors of zero.

5. Can a ring have no divisors of zero?

Yes, a ring can have no divisors of zero. This type of ring is called an integral domain. Examples of integral domains include the integers, rational numbers, and real numbers under the usual addition and multiplication operations.