Solving a Resistance-Inductance Circuit Problem

• Thread starter c-murda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of current and its rate of change in a circuit with a coil of resistance 8.0 ohms and self-inductance 4.0 mH connected to a constant potential difference of 100 V at different times. The equation used is I = (12.5A) (1-e^(-t/.500ms)) and the expression for dI/dt is 12.5A(-e^(-t/.500ms)). The conversation ends with a request for assistance in completing the solution.
c-murda

Homework Statement

A coil of resistance 8.0 ohms and self-inductance 4.0 mH is suddenly connected across a constant potential difference of 100 V. Let t = 0 be the time of connection, at which the current is zero. Find the current I and its rate of change dI/dt at times (a) t = 0, (b) t = 0.1 s, (c) t = 0.5 s, and (d) t = 1.0 s.

Homework Equations

If=E_o / R = 100V/8.00ohms = 12.5A

T(time constant)= L/R = 4.0 mH/8ohms = .500 ms

The Attempt at a Solution

Substitute If and T to obtain
I = (12.5A) (1-e^(-t/.500ms))

Express dI/dt :

dI/dt = 12.5A(-e^(-t/.500ms)) <--- here is where I am stuck. Seems like there should be a numer in the thousands to multiply with units s^-1 to cancel out the other units

which in return would yiels aan anser like:
= (##kA)e^(-t/.500ms)

Then substitute all the reset of the values in.

Not sure what i am missing here Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?!?

1. What is a resistance-inductance circuit?

A resistance-inductance circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both resistors and inductors. These components work together to control the flow of electricity in the circuit.

2. How do I solve a resistance-inductance circuit problem?

To solve a resistance-inductance circuit problem, you will need to use Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws. Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. Kirchhoff's laws dictate how current and voltage behave in a circuit.

3. What is the purpose of solving a resistance-inductance circuit problem?

The purpose of solving a resistance-inductance circuit problem is to understand the behavior of the circuit and determine the current, voltage, and power at different points in the circuit. This information can then be used to design and troubleshoot electrical systems.

4. What are some common challenges in solving a resistance-inductance circuit problem?

Some common challenges in solving a resistance-inductance circuit problem include understanding the relationship between current and voltage, correctly applying Kirchhoff's laws, and accounting for the effects of inductance on the circuit. It is also important to have a good understanding of circuit analysis techniques and mathematical calculations.

5. Are there any tools or software that can assist in solving a resistance-inductance circuit problem?

Yes, there are various circuit analysis software and tools available that can assist in solving a resistance-inductance circuit problem. These tools use simulations and mathematical algorithms to calculate the current, voltage, and power in a circuit. Some popular tools include LTspice, MATLAB, and PSpice.