Solve RLC Circuit: Find Capacitor, Voltage, Power

In summary, a series RLC circuit was described consisting of a 200Ω resistor, 0.214H inductor, and an unknown value capacitor. When energized by a 240∠0°, 50Hz sinusoidal supply, the current was found to be 2.6∠0° amperes. The summary includes the determination of the value of the capacitor in microfarad, the voltage across the inductor, and the total power consumed. The resulting values are 47.3μF, 174.8V, and 1.35kW respectively. There were also doubts raised about the impedance of the circuit, but it was concluded that there may be an error in the
cool_stuff_lol

Homework Statement

A series RLC circuit consists of resistor of 200Ω, an inductor of 0.214H and a capacitor of unknown value. When this circuit is energized by 240∠0°, 50Hz sinusoidal supply, the current was found to be 2.6∠0° amperes. Determine:

(i) Value of capacitor in microfarad
(ii) Voltage across the inductor
(iii) Total power consumed

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) arctan 0°=(χL-χC)/R
χC=χL
χC=2*pi*50*0.214=67.23Ω

C=1/(2*pi*50*0.214)=47.3μF

(ii) V=2.6*67.23=174.8V

(iii) Power= 200*(2.6)^2=1.35kW

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you have a question about your solution? The results look fine.

I had a doubt regarding the impedance of the circuit. If the current and voltage are in phase with each other shouldn't the impedance equal the value of the resistor? However, the impedance is less than the value of the resistor using Z=V/I.

cool_stuff_lol said:
I had a doubt regarding the impedance of the circuit. If the current and voltage are in phase with each other shouldn't the impedance equal the value of the resistor? However, the impedance is less than the value of the resistor using Z=V/I.

True. We'll have to conclude that the problem statement is not accurate. Perhaps there's a typo or someone changed the values at some point to make a "new" question.

But your approach is correct if the voltage and current are in phase.

I would like to clarify that the values for the capacitor and voltage across the inductor may vary slightly depending on the precision of the given values and the calculations. However, the overall approach and equations used to solve the RLC circuit are correct. Additionally, it is important to note that the power consumed by the circuit is the total power consumed by all the components in the circuit, including the resistor, inductor, and capacitor. This power is calculated using the formula P=I^2R.

1. How do I find the capacitance of an RLC circuit?

The capacitance of an RLC circuit can be found by using the formula C = 1 / (2πfZ), where C is the capacitance, f is the frequency of the circuit, and Z is the impedance. Alternatively, if the resonant frequency of the circuit (fr) is known, the capacitance can be calculated using the formula C = 1 / (2πfrR), where R is the resistance of the circuit.

2. How can I determine the voltage across the capacitor in an RLC circuit?

The voltage across the capacitor in an RLC circuit can be calculated by using the formula VC = IC / (2πfC), where VC is the voltage across the capacitor, IC is the current through the capacitor, f is the frequency of the circuit, and C is the capacitance.

3. What is the power dissipation in an RLC circuit?

The power dissipation in an RLC circuit can be determined by using the formula P = IR2R, where P is the power dissipation, IR is the current through the resistor, and R is the resistance of the circuit.

4. How do I calculate the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC circuit can be found by using the formula fr = 1 / (2π√(LC)), where fr is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance of the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the circuit.

5. Can an RLC circuit have multiple resonant frequencies?

Yes, an RLC circuit can have multiple resonant frequencies. This occurs when the circuit has more than one LC pair that can resonate at different frequencies. In this case, the circuit will have multiple peaks in its frequency response curve. These resonant frequencies can be calculated using the formula fr = 1 / (2π√(LC)), where L and C represent different inductance and capacitance pairs within the circuit.