1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RLC circuits and Resonance

1. Jul 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) WRUF broadcasts at 103.7 MHz, what is the wavelength associated?

b) If you were to use an RLC circuit to tune to this radio station, what resonance frequency would you tune to?

2. Relevant equations
    f(resonance)= 1/(2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{LC}[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) [tex]\lambda[/tex]= C/f
    [tex]\lambda[/tex]= (3*10^8)/(103.7*10^6)= 2.89m

b) I was not given any information besides the broadcast frequency, or the wavelength which I obtained. I do not see how I can find the resonant frequency with such limited information. If anyone could give me a prod in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

To receive any radio station, you have to tune the RCL circuit such that its resonance frequency equals the frequency of the radio station.

4. Jul 13, 2009 #3
    So the RLC circuit would simply need to be tuned to 103.7 MHz to receive that particular station? Maybe I overthought this...

5. Jul 13, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When you tune any radio station, actually you are changing capacity of the capacitor of the LCR circuit. When the resonance frequency matches the frequency of the radio station, potential difference across LCR circuit is maximum for that frequency. Thus the station is received.

6. Jul 13, 2009 #5
    Oh I see, thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook