RLC Locus Diagrams Homework: Solve for Z,Y Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show the graph of the loci of the port impedance and port admittance in a series circuit with a varying resistance R. The equations for Z and Y are given and then rearranged to find the real and complex components. The final solution is a circle with the origin at 0,-1/2x and a radius of -1/2x.
ghoti

Homework Statement

In a series circuit V = V<0 @50hz with an R and C, show that the graph of the loci or the port impedance, Z, and port admittance, Y, as the resistance R is varied from 0 to inf ohms are as shown.
[URL]http://ivila.net/prob.png[/URL][URL]http://ivila.net/loci.png[/URL]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Z = R + j*X;
Y = Z-1;

Map to Y = G + jB (Separate Real and Complex)
G = R/(R2 + X2);
B = -X/(R2 + X2);

G2 + B2 = 1/(R2+X2) = B/-X

Then I get lost,

I know I need to arrange into the format below with the condition that the R term (varying from 0 to inf) remains in the LHS, ie, out of the radius. however I am stuck .
(G-x)2 + (B-y)2 = radius2

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found the solution!

Firstly.

Z = R - jX (incorrectly stated in my first post)
Y = G + jB
G = R/(R^2 + X^2)
B = X/(R^2 + X^2)
G^2 + B^2 = 1/(R^2 + X^2) this is very close to B, infact B/X = G^2 + B^2

using this we can say.

G^2 + B^2 = 1/X * B
G^2 + (B^2 - B/X) = 0

Now Complete the Square

G^2 + (B^2 - B/X + a^2) = a^2
2a = -1/x, a = -1/2x

Therefore

(G^2) + (B + -1/2x)^2 = (-1/2x)^2

or, a circle, origin at 0,-1/2x radius -1/2x

Thanks!
Alex

1. What are RLC locus diagrams and why are they important in solving for Z and Y variables?

RLC locus diagrams are graphical representations of the variation of impedance (Z) and admittance (Y) in a circuit as the frequency changes. They are important in solving for Z and Y variables because they provide a visual understanding of how the circuit behaves at different frequencies, which is crucial in designing and analyzing electronic circuits.

2. How do I solve for Z and Y variables using RLC locus diagrams?

To solve for Z and Y variables using RLC locus diagrams, you need to plot the values of resistance (R), inductance (L), and capacitance (C) on the x-axis and y-axis, respectively. Then, using the equations for impedance (Z = R + jωL + 1/jωC) and admittance (Y = 1/R + jωC + 1/jωL), you can find the values of Z and Y at different frequencies by tracing the locus curve on the diagram.

3. What are the key components that affect the shape of RLC locus diagrams?

The key components that affect the shape of RLC locus diagrams are resistance, inductance, and capacitance. These components determine the values of Z and Y at different frequencies, which in turn affect the shape of the locus curve. Additionally, the frequency of the input signal also plays a crucial role in shaping the RLC locus diagram.

4. How can I use RLC locus diagrams to analyze and design electronic circuits?

You can use RLC locus diagrams to analyze and design electronic circuits by understanding how the circuit behaves at different frequencies. By tracing the locus curve, you can determine the values of Z and Y, which can help you identify the resonant frequency, bandwidth, and other important parameters of the circuit. This information can then be used to optimize the circuit design for specific applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using RLC locus diagrams in solving for Z and Y variables?

While RLC locus diagrams provide a useful visual representation of how a circuit behaves at different frequencies, they are based on the assumption that the components in the circuit are ideal. In reality, most electronic components have some level of imperfection, which may affect the accuracy of the results obtained from the diagram. Therefore, it is important to consider the limitations of RLC locus diagrams and use them as a tool in conjunction with other analysis techniques.