1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rms voltage question

1. Dec 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, so im just starting an rms voltage question but i'm a small bit confused.
    The problem states: A transformer having 90 turns on the primary and 2250 turns on the secondary is connected to a 120V, 60Hz source. Calculate a) the rms voltage and b) the peak voltage at the secondary.

2. Relevant equations
    Vrms = Vm/2^0.5

Ns/Np = Vs/Vp

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far i have said:
    Vs = (120)(2250)/(90) from the second equation above
    => Vs = 3000V

After this i was going to say that the rms voltage is Vs/2^0.5
    however i have been given the answer and it says that the rms voltage is simply 3000V. I dont understand this and would appreciate any explanation any one could offer?
    I realise i also havent used the 60Hz value,so i may be missing an equation??
    Thanks for any help
    debs

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2007 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your Vs is the secondary rms voltage because it was calculated from an rms primary value. So far so good. The frequency is unimportant except to indicate that you are working with AC (alternating current), which means a sinusoidal waveform. To finish the problem and calculate the peak voltage, what do you know about the relation between peak and rms amplitudes for a sine wave?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?