Roark's formulas for stress and strain

In summary: Thanks for catching that! In summary, this formula appears to be calculating the stress at a point much further away from the tube's actual buckle point than the other formulas, which may lead to inaccurate results.
matthias_t
Hi all,

i hope that i am in the right forum.

As you see in my topic i have a problem with Roark's formula especially for elastic stability of plates and shells.
The formula i got a problem with is the following:
If you have the book:
sixth edition: page 689 table 35 formula 15.
or
seventh edition: page 735 table 15.2 formula 15.

if you don't have the book:
"thin walled circular tube under uniform longitudinal compression" (ends not constrained)
formula:
stress = (1/root(3))*(Young's Modu / (1-poissons ratio²) *( t / r )
where
r = radius of tube
t = wall thickness (i hope...)

"Tests indicate an indicate buckling stress of 40 - 60% of this theoretical value"

So on i got an indicate stress of 1363 N/mm² by using a wall thickness equal 1.5 mm,
radius 139.82, steel with E = 210000 N/mm² and Poissons ratio = 0.3.
Even with 40% of this stress i got approx. 545 N/mm² anyway.
So I need 714 kN to buckle this tube.
With: force = stress * area
area = (radius² - (radius - t)²)PI
It seems a bit too much for me.
Could anyone help me with my doubts? I helpful link would be very nice too.

What other material properties will influence my buckling tube in a relevant way?

I thank you in advance

Matt

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Matt,
I agree, this looks rather peculiar. I have the 7'th edition. Note however, that the stress they are calculating is what they are calling the "critical unit compressive stress", not simply the critical compressive stress. I can't seem to locate the definition of this value, but I suspect it has to do with how this critical unit compressive stress compares to the stress calculated from F/A. I'll look through this a bit more when I get a chance, and if you or anyone else comes up with the answer, great! There are obviously other formulas for calculating this such as the Euler, Johnson parabola or secant formula. You might want to try that first.
Dave.

ah wait... just found it. Table 15.1 (pg 718 of 7'th edition) talks about critical unit load which is force per unit length. By analogy, I'm assuming the critical unit compressive stress is the critical stress divided by the length. If I do that, it all seems to work nicely.

1. What is Roark's formulas for stress and strain?

Roark's formulas for stress and strain is a comprehensive and widely-used reference book that provides engineers and scientists with a collection of formulas and tables for calculating the stress and strain in various structural components. It covers a wide range of topics, including beam bending, torsion, and column buckling.

2. Who is Roark and why is this book named after him?

Roark's formulas for stress and strain is named after Richard Southwell Roark, an American engineer and professor who compiled and expanded on the original work by engineer William M. Wilson. Roark's contributions to the book have made it an essential resource for engineers and scientists around the world.

3. How is Roark's formulas for stress and strain organized?

The book is organized into six main sections: stress and strain tensors, axial, bending, and torsional stresses, thermal stress, stress due to deformations, and special topics. Within each section, the formulas and tables are further organized by type of structure, such as beams, plates, and shells. There is also a comprehensive index for easy reference.

4. Can I use Roark's formulas for stress and strain for any type of material?

Yes, Roark's formulas for stress and strain is applicable to a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics, wood, and composites. The book provides stress and strain calculations for common materials, as well as guidelines for adapting the formulas to less common materials.

5. Is Roark's formulas for stress and strain suitable for both practical and theoretical applications?

Yes, Roark's formulas for stress and strain is designed to be both a practical reference for engineers and a theoretical resource for scientists. The book includes derivations and explanations of the formulas, as well as practical examples and case studies to illustrate their application in real-world scenarios.