1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket motion - conservation of momentum

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the speed v of the rocket when the mass of the rocket = m. The rocket starts from rest at with mass M. Fuel is ejected at speed u relative to the rocket.

2. Relevant equations

m1v1 = m2v2

3. The attempt at a solution
    In the textbook, it starts off with a moving rocket with mass m and speed v. The fuel is given the mass (-dm) which is positive. So after a short time dt, the mass of the rocket changes to m+dm and speed v+dv. The mass of the ejected fuel is (-dm) and since it ejects with speed u relative to the rocket travelling at speed v, the ejected fuel travels at speed v-u, which can be positive or negative depending on which of v or u is larger.

Writing down the equation of conservation of momentum:

mv = (m+dm)(v+dv) + (-dm)(v-u)

which then leads to

m dv = -u dm

After a few steps, we get:

v2-v1 = u ln(m1/m2)

That all looks fine and understandable. However, it mentions in the book that I am free to define dm to be positive, and then subtract it from the rocket's mass, and have dm get shot out the back. So I have decided to try it.

Writing down the equation of conservation of momentum:

mv = (m-dm)(v+dv) + dm(v-u)

which then leads to

m dv = u dm (note that at this point, the equation is already different from before)

Moving the variables around and integrating v from v1 to v2, m from m1 to m2 as before, I obtained:

v2-v1 = u ln(m2/m1)

which is clearly wrong because m2<m1, so

ln(m2/m1) < 0

but

v2 > v1

So what went wrong there?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Well, thanks for an evening's entertainment! I could not wrap my mind around it. Clearly dm has to be negative in order for the value of m to diminish. But it is natural to think of dm as positive when we write (m-dm). Conflict! I found clarification here
    http://ed-thelen.org/rocket-eq.html
    Some explanations use one m for the rocket and another m for the propellant.
    Anyway, it seems one must use different letters for the m in dm and the M for mass of the rocket. Then dM = - dm and it all works out.

How clever of the author of your book to make us really think!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook