Rocket Velocity and Acceleration Calculation

In summary, the problem involves a rocket in space that ejects burned fuel at a speed of 2.0 km/s with respect to the rocket. The rocket burns 10% of its mass in 340 seconds at a constant burn rate. The questions ask for the velocity and instantaneous acceleration of the rocket after a burn time of 170 seconds, assuming the rocket starts at rest. Using the equation v_f = -v_ex*ln(m_final/m_initial) - g*burn time, with a final mass of 95% of the initial mass, the velocity and acceleration can be calculated.
wr8899

Homework Statement

Consider a rocket in space that ejects burned fuel at a speed of v_ex= 2.0 km/s with respect to the rocket. The rocket burns 10 % of its mass in 340 s (assume the burn rate is constant).

(a) What is the speed v of the rocket after a burn time of 170.0 s? (suppose that the rocket starts at rest; and enter your answer in m/s) ?
(b) What is the instantaneous acceleration of the rocket at time 170.0 s after the start of the engines?(in m/s^2 ) ?

Homework Equations

v_f = -v_ex*ln(m_final/m_initial) - g*burn time

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the data, getting -2000*ln(0.95) - g*170, but got the velocity wrong. I have no idea where I went wrong, and I am stuck here, along with finding the acceleration. Can someone please help me get unstuck here. Thanks and sorry to be a bother.

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT : What I wrote here was wrong

Last edited:
What is g in space?

In addition to BOYLANATOR's post, where does the 0.95 come from?

0.95 comes from the final mass over initial mass, since after 170.0 seconds, you have 95% of the original mass left (other 5% mass was burned already)

Oh 10% in 340s... okay, I missed that part. Where is the point in the second 170 seconds?

what you mean?

Because, 10% of mass burned every 340 seconds, so 5% of mass burned every 170 seconds, therefore I got the 0.95

I agree, I didn't read the problem statement careful enough.
I was just wondering why the problem statement gives the fuel burnt in 340 seconds and then just asks for the rocket after 170 seconds.

Did you manage to solve the problem?

1. What is the rocket problem?

The rocket problem is a hypothetical scenario in which a rocket is launched into space and then returns to Earth. The challenge is to determine the optimal trajectory for the rocket's return to minimize fuel consumption and ensure a safe landing.

2. What factors need to be considered when solving the rocket problem?

Factors that need to be considered when solving the rocket problem include the rocket's initial velocity, mass, and fuel capacity, as well as the gravitational pull of the Earth, the atmosphere, and any other celestial bodies that may affect the trajectory of the rocket.

3. What approach is typically used to solve the rocket problem?

The rocket problem is typically solved using mathematical equations and principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. Computer simulations and optimization algorithms may also be used to find the most efficient solution.

4. What are some potential challenges in solving the rocket problem?

Some potential challenges in solving the rocket problem include accounting for changing atmospheric conditions and unexpected obstacles, such as other celestial bodies or technical malfunctions. Additionally, finding a balance between fuel efficiency and ensuring a safe landing can be a complex and delicate task.

5. What real-world applications does the rocket problem have?

The rocket problem has real-world applications in the field of aerospace engineering, as it can help engineers design more efficient and safe spacecraft trajectories. It may also have implications for other fields, such as transportation and logistics, where optimizing fuel consumption is important.