Rocket with constant acceleration - am i right or not ?

In summary, a rocket is fired vertically with an acceleration of 20 m/s^2 for 1 minute, then continues in free fall after using all its fuel. Using the equations of motion, the total displacement of the rocket can be calculated by adding the displacement of the first leg (36,000 m) to the displacement of the second leg (1.5*10^5 m). The final velocity of the first leg can be used to find the initial velocity of the second leg, and the total displacement can be found by adding the two legs together. This solution helped clarify any discrepancies between the student's calculation and the answer key.
mstud

Homework Statement

A rocket is fired vertically and contiues for 1 minute with the acceleration 20 m/s^2. Then it has used up all the fuel , and the rocket continues in free fall.

a) How high does the rocket come?

Homework Equations

[tex]s(displacement)=v_0t + \frac 12 at^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can also assume that the initial speed v0 is = 0 m/s, right?

This gives s= 0*60s + 1/2 * 20 m/s^2 * (60s)^2 = 36000 m =3.6*10^5 m.

However, the answer key of my book says s=1.5*10^5m.

Can you find something wrong in what I have done or is my book wrong?

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
First off. 36,000 is 3.6*10^4.

Secondly, what happens to the rocket after its engines stop firing?

Yes, of course, sorry ...

Continues with the acceleration -9.81 m/s due to gravity, until v=0 m/s, right?
How to use that?

You now have a second "leg" (as it were) of the journey. You have

a final velocity (at peak height)
an acceleration due to gravity alone

Take a look at your equations of motion and see if any of them use these. You'll find that you need one more item from one of the equations, the initial velocity. How can you find the initial velocity of the second leg of the journey?

The initial velocity of the second leg is equal to the final velocity of the first leg, so I can calculate the final velocity of the first leg to find it :)

Then the total displacement is first leg + second leg.

I'll see if this solves it...

Yes, that was the way.

Many thanks for your help, guys !

Related to Rocket with constant acceleration - am i right or not ?

1. Is a rocket with constant acceleration moving at a constant speed?

No, a rocket with constant acceleration is not moving at a constant speed. While the acceleration remains constant, the velocity of the rocket will continue to increase over time.

2. How does the acceleration of a rocket affect its motion?

The acceleration of a rocket determines how quickly its velocity changes. A higher acceleration will result in a faster increase in velocity and a shorter time to reach a certain speed.

3. Can a rocket maintain constant acceleration indefinitely?

In theory, yes, a rocket can maintain constant acceleration indefinitely as long as there is a continuous force acting on it. However, there are practical limitations such as fuel supply and external forces that can affect the acceleration of a rocket.

4. How is the acceleration of a rocket measured?

The acceleration of a rocket can be measured using instruments such as accelerometers, which measure the rate of change of velocity over time. Other methods include using known distances and times to calculate the acceleration using the equation a = (vf - vi)/t.

5. What factors can affect the acceleration of a rocket?

The acceleration of a rocket can be affected by various factors such as the force of the rocket's engine, the weight and mass of the rocket, air resistance, and external forces like gravity and wind. These factors can either increase or decrease the acceleration of the rocket.