Rolling Motion, confusing with linearizing a graph?

In summary, linearizing a=⅔g sin θ is a convenient way to test the theoretical equation. By assigning a as the y-variable and (g sin θ) as the x-variable, the expected values of the slope and y-intercept can be determined. Comparing the results from a linear fit to the data with the expected values according to a=⅔g sin θ can help to verify the theory.
tariel

Homework Statement

Rolling Motion

Theoretically, a=⅔g sin θ suggests a nonlinear relation between a and θ. Since a linear graph is a very convenient method of testing theoretical equations, it is a good idea to first linearize a=⅔g sin θ. A simple way to do this is to assign a as the y-variable and (g sin θ) as the x-variable. If a=⅔g sin θ is linearized in this way, what are the expected values of the slope and y-intercept of the linear graph?

Plot a versus g sin θ. Perform a linear fit to the data, and determine the slope and the y-intercept. Compare the results with the expected values according to a=⅔g sin θ.

Homework Equations

a=⅔g sin θ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure where to start! To be honest, I've never heard of 'linearizing' a graph before. Any insight into how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

PS I made my graph from my data of acceleration and g sin θ, and it is indeed very linear. I'm just not sure how to relate it or how to find the 'expected' values?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're plotting ##a## versus ##gsin\theta##. So, think of ##a## as the "##y##" variable and ##gsin\theta## as the "##x##" variable. What would the equation ##a = \frac{2}{3} g sin\theta## look like using the symbols ##x## and ##y##?

y = 2/3 x ?
So 2/3 is the slope? And since there's no b, this means that y = 0?

Yes. Good. Note that y = (2/3) x is a linear equation. Thus, the word 'linearizing'.

Well... that was a lot easier than expected. Thanks for your time!

Related to Rolling Motion, confusing with linearizing a graph?

1. What is rolling motion?

Rolling motion is a type of motion where an object moves along a surface while also rotating around its own axis.

2. How is rolling motion different from linear motion?

In linear motion, an object moves in a straight line, while in rolling motion, an object moves in a curved path while also rotating.

3. How do you calculate the speed of an object in rolling motion?

The speed of an object in rolling motion is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken. However, it is important to note that the speed may vary depending on the rolling surface and the object's shape and size.

4. What is the difference between rolling motion and rotational motion?

Rolling motion involves both translation (movement along a surface) and rotation, while rotational motion only involves rotation around a fixed axis.

5. How do you linearize a graph for rolling motion?

To linearize a graph for rolling motion, you need to plot the angular velocity (in radians per second) on the y-axis and the linear velocity (in meters per second) on the x-axis. This will result in a linear relationship with a slope equal to the radius of the rolling object.