How Do You Calculate the Acceleration of a Weight and Tension in a Yo-Yo System?

In summary, the problem involves a 16lb yo-yo on a horizontal table with dimensions r = 4in and R = 12in, with a radius of gyration about the center of mass of 6in. A cord is wrapped around the inner radius, passes over a pulley, and is attached to an 8lb block. The acceleration of the block and tension in the cord are to be found, with answers of 4.830ft/s^2 and 6.792lb respectively. The key equations used are F=ma, torque=I*alpha, Iaxis=Icm+mh^2, and I=(radius-gyration)R^2. The missing equation needed to solve
lehel

Homework Statement

a 16lb yo-yo is resting on a horizontal table and is free to roll. The dimensions are r = 4in and R = 12in and the radius of gyration about the CM is 6in. A cord is wrapped around the inner radius, the passes over a perfect pulley, and is attached to a 8lb block.

Find acceleration of 8lb block and the tension in the cord

(answers are 4.830ft/s^2 and 6.792lb)

Homework Equations

F = ma
torque = I*alpha = F*moment-arm
Iaxis = Icm + mh^2
I = (radius-gyration)R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

there are two accelerations a1 (weight) and a2 (yo-yo).

(16/32slugs)*a2 = T

I at table contact point = 90slug*in^2

net torqe at table contact point = 90slug*in^2 * alpha = T(12in - 4in)

T = 11.25*alpha and 0.5slugs * a2 = T

for weight, (8/32slugs)a1 = 8lb - T

so far, I have 4 unknowns and 3 equations so I can't solve for anything. What equation am I missing? i don't know how to find a relationship between alpha and a2 (i thought a2 = 12in*alpha but that doesn't work out right).

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider pure rotation about axis passes through contact point. the center of mass is 12 in from contact point.

i found out what i was missing: an equation describing the relationship between the acceleration of the weight and the accleration of the yo-yo.

a-weight = a-yo-yo - R*alpha.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Acceleration of a Weight and Tension in a Yo-Yo System?

What is the relationship between the weight of a yo-yo and its rolling performance?

The weight of a yo-yo directly affects its rolling performance. A heavier yo-yo will require more force to keep it spinning, resulting in a slower and shorter roll. On the other hand, a lighter yo-yo will require less force and will have a faster and longer roll.

Why does the weight distribution in a yo-yo matter when it comes to rolling?

The weight distribution in a yo-yo plays a crucial role in its rolling performance. The weight of a yo-yo is not evenly distributed throughout its body, and this uneven distribution creates a rotational inertia that helps to keep the yo-yo spinning. A yo-yo with a well-balanced weight distribution will have a smoother and more stable roll.

Can adding weight to a yo-yo improve its rolling performance?

Adding weight to a yo-yo can improve its rolling performance, but only up to a certain point. As mentioned before, a heavier yo-yo will require more force to keep it spinning, but if the weight is added in the right places, it can also increase the rotational inertia and create a smoother and more stable roll. However, adding too much weight can have the opposite effect and make the yo-yo harder to roll.

What is the ideal weight for a yo-yo to have the best rolling performance?

The ideal weight for a yo-yo to have the best rolling performance varies depending on personal preference and skill level. Generally, a yo-yo with a weight between 60-70 grams is considered a good balance between speed and stability. However, some players may prefer lighter or heavier yo-yos based on their playstyle.

How does the weight of a yo-yo affect tricks and stunts?

The weight of a yo-yo can significantly impact the difficulty and execution of tricks and stunts. A heavier yo-yo will require more force and control to perform certain tricks, while a lighter yo-yo may be easier to manipulate. Additionally, the weight of a yo-yo can also affect the speed and momentum of the yo-yo during tricks, making it an important factor to consider for advanced players.