Ross ch.6 problem 26 Joint Distribution of Random Variables.

In summary, the probability that all the roots of the equation Ax2 + Bx + C = 0 are real can be found using the formula Z 1/4 0 1 − 4 3 a 1/2 da + Z 1 1/4 1 12 a −1 da = a − 8 9 a 3/2 a=1/4 a=0 + 1 12 log(a) a=1 a=1/4 = 5 36 + 1 12 log(4). This solution involves breaking the integral into two separate integrals and changing the range for either b or c to fix the issue with the min function.
mattclgn

Homework Statement

Suppose that A, B, C are independent random variables, each being uniformly distributed over (0, 1). )

What is the probability that all the roots of the equation Ax2 + Bx + C = 0 are real?

Homework Equations

(b) What is the probability that all the roots of the equation Ax2 + Bx + C = 0 are real? Recall that the roots of Ax2 + Bx + C = 0 are real if B2 − 4AC ≥ 0, which occurs with probability Z 1 0 Z 1 0 Z 1 min{1, √ 4ac} 1dbdcda = Z 1 0 Z min{1,1/(4a)} 0 Z 1 √ 4ac 1dbdcda = Z 1/4 0 Z 1 0 Z 1 √ 4ac 1dbdcda + Z 1 1/4 Z 1/(4a) 0 Z 1 √ 4ac 1dbdcda = Z 1/4 0 Z 1 0 (1 − 2a 1/2 c 1/2 )dcda + Z 1 1/4 Z 1/(4a) 0 (1 − 2a 1/2 c 1/2 )dcda = Z 1/4 0 c − 4 3 a 1/2 c 3/2 c=1 c=0 da + Z 1 1/4 c − 4 3 a 1/2 c 3/2 c=1/(4a) c=0 da = Z 1/4 0 1 − 4 3 a 1/2 da + Z 1 1/4 1 12 a −1 da = a − 8 9 a 3/2 a=1/4 a=0 + 1 12 log(a) a=1 a=1/4 = 5 36 + 1 12 log(4).

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
...okay, so the solution is actually listed above from this http://www.math.duke.edu/~hadams/teaching/math151win2012/Hw6Sol.pdf. I guess my problem is more the understanding of it...I get the part where it asks me the roots and I have to use the quadrilateral to get them. I don't get fully why the first integral is Z min{1,b2/(4c)} 0 Also, despite having looked it up on wolfram's, I am still not quite sure what I am supposed to do with min{}? Why does it simplify to something where the parameters of integration change? Why does it break into two separate integration's? It doesn't seem to me as though we are doing Int by Parts. I'm pretty much lost on the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you were to take the range for b as ##\sqrt{4ac}## to 1 in the first integral, what would go wrong? The first integral fixes the problem by changing the range for b. The second fixes it by changing the range for c instead. The third resolves the min function by breaking it into two ranges, one in which 1 is the smaller value and the other in which 1/(4a) is the smaller.

Related to Ross ch.6 problem 26 Joint Distribution of Random Variables.

1. What is a joint distribution of random variables?

A joint distribution of random variables is a probability distribution that describes the simultaneous occurrence of two or more random variables. It shows the probabilities of different combinations of values for the variables.

2. How is the joint distribution of random variables calculated?

The joint distribution of random variables is calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each variable together. For example, if X and Y are two random variables, the joint distribution can be calculated as P(X=x) * P(Y=y).

3. What is the difference between a joint distribution and a marginal distribution?

A joint distribution takes into account the probabilities of multiple variables occurring together, while a marginal distribution only considers the probability of one variable occurring regardless of the others. In other words, a joint distribution is a combination of multiple marginal distributions.

4. Can the joint distribution of random variables be used to calculate conditional probabilities?

Yes, the joint distribution can be used to calculate conditional probabilities by dividing the joint probability by the marginal probability of the condition. For example, P(X=x|Y=y) = P(X=x, Y=y) / P(Y=y).

5. How is the joint distribution of random variables useful in statistical analysis?

The joint distribution of random variables is useful in statistical analysis as it allows for the calculation of various important measures such as covariance, correlation, and expected values. It also helps in understanding the relationship between different variables and can be used to make predictions and decisions based on the probabilities of different outcomes.