Rotating diatomic - Pretty basic first year question. Workings given

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value for L in order to calculate the frequency using the equation L=Iw. It is suggested that finding ω is a straightforward centripetal acceleration question. Eventually, it is revealed that the person has successfully solved the problem and thanks the other person for their help.
elemis
Part v is where I'm stuck.

All relevant equations and the bit where I'm stuck are in the second attachment with my workings

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1366876596.748212.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1366876612.154368.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
If I can find the value for L I can substitute it into the equation for L=Iw and using the known I value I can calculate w and hence the frequency (2pif=w).

hi elemis! :smile:

why are you making it so complicated?

finding ω is a straightforward centripetal acceleration question! :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi elemis! :smile:

Why are you making it so complicated?

finding ω is a straightforward centripetal acceleration question! :wink:

i goooot itt ! Woooohoooooo ! Thank you !

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and your workings with me. It seems like you have a good understanding of the basic concepts involved in solving this problem. I will try my best to help you with part v where you are stuck.

Firstly, let's review what we know about rotating diatomic molecules. A diatomic molecule is one that consists of two atoms bonded together, such as HCl or O2. When these molecules are in a gas phase, they are free to rotate about their center of mass. The rotational motion of a diatomic molecule can be described using the moment of inertia, I, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion.

In your problem, you have been given the moment of inertia of a rotating diatomic molecule, I = µr^2, where µ is the reduced mass of the molecule and r is the bond length between the two atoms. This equation is derived from the more general equation for moment of inertia, I = mr^2, where m is the mass of the molecule.

Now, in part v of the problem, you are asked to find the moment of inertia for a rotating diatomic molecule made up of two different atoms, A and B, with masses mA and mB, and bond length r. To solve this, we need to use the concept of reduced mass, which takes into account the masses of both atoms in the molecule. The reduced mass, µ, is given by the equation µ = (mA*mB)/(mA+mB).

Substituting this value of µ into the equation for moment of inertia, we get I = µr^2 = ((mA*mB)/(mA+mB))*r^2. This is the moment of inertia for a rotating diatomic molecule made up of two different atoms.

I hope this helps you understand how to solve part v of the problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work!

Related to Rotating diatomic - Pretty basic first year question. Workings given

1. What is a rotating diatomic molecule?

A rotating diatomic molecule is a molecule composed of two atoms that are bonded together and can rotate around an axis.

2. How does rotation affect a diatomic molecule?

Rotation affects a diatomic molecule by changing the distribution of kinetic energy and the internuclear distance between the two atoms.

3. What is the energy associated with rotation in a diatomic molecule?

The energy associated with rotation in a diatomic molecule is given by the rotational kinetic energy formula, E = (1/2)I(ω^2), where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity.

4. How does the moment of inertia change for a rotating diatomic molecule?

The moment of inertia for a rotating diatomic molecule changes as the distance between the two atoms changes, affecting the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

5. What are the different types of rotational motion in a diatomic molecule?

The two types of rotational motion in a diatomic molecule are symmetric rotation, where the two atoms rotate together around the center of mass, and asymmetric rotation, where the two atoms rotate around different points.