1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating eigenstates of J operator into each other?

1. Aug 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following set of eigenstates of a spin-J particle:

[tex]
    |j,j > , ... , |j,m > , ... | j , -j >
    [/tex]

where
    [tex]
    \hbar^2 j(j+1) , \hbar m
    [/tex]
    are the eigenvalues of J^2 and Jz, respectively. Is it always possible to rotate these states into each other? i.e. given |j,m> and |j,m'>, is it always possible to find a unitary rotation operator U^j such that
    [tex]
    |j,m' > = U^{(j)} |j, m > [/tex]

Not too sure how to approach this problem, although given that
    [tex]
    U^\dagger |j,m' > = U^\dagger U |j,m > [/tex]
    and
    [tex]
    < j,m' | j,m > = \delta_{mm'}
    [/tex]
    I would think that
    [tex]
    < j,m' | U^\dagger | j,m' > = 0
    [/tex]

which doesn't seem right hence the answer would be no.

Also the fact that the rotation matrix times a given eigenstate is in general a linear combination of 2j+1 independent states of the form |j,m'> makes me doubtful as well.

Any help would be appreciated (this isn't an actual hw question but taken from a practice exam so feel free to go into as much detail as possible as that would be really helpful).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2014 #2
    What do you mean by rotation? I think it is always possible to construct such a unitary operator. One could just do it explicitly.

[itex]U = \mathbf{I} - \mid j, m \rangle \langle j, m \mid - \mid j, m' \rangle \langle j, m' \mid + \mid j, m' \rangle \langle j, m \mid - \mid j, m \rangle \langle j, m' \mid[/itex]

I think the above would work. But do you consider that a rotation? I suppose one might consider all special unitary operators to be rotations in a sense (rotations in the Hilbert space). However I don't know if you mean rotations as in rotations in 3D space, that is ## U = e^{-i\theta \hat{\mathbf{n}} \cdot \mathbf{J}} ##. If this is what you mean, then I'm not sure of the answer. I know such rotations will often result in superpositions of m states, which is not what you want.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  4. Aug 4, 2014 #3
    Rotation is a bit of a misnomer indeed. I think unitary transformation is what is meant here. I'll try your first suggestion (just need to check it's indeed unitary) but it looks good to me. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted