1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating meterstick problem w/ weights.

1. Jul 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Identical particles are placed at the 50-cm and 80-cm marks on a meter stick of negligible mass. This rigid body is then mounted so as to rotate about a pivot at the 0-cm mark on the meter stick. If this body is released from rest in a horizontal position, what is the angular speed of the meter stick as it swings through it's lowest position?

2. Relevant equations
    Equations of rotational motion
    torque = Fdsin(theta)
    torque = I (alpha)
    v = rw
    (alpha) = A_c / r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the different lengths in simultaneous equations to try and find the different omegas and add them together...but my answer had nothing to do with the question....

I then tried using parallel axis theorem and tried to plug in T = I(alpha) and such to figure out the real torque involved to find alpha and find w finally., and that produced no results.....

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps this problem would be better approached using conservation of energy.

4. Jul 17, 2008 #3
    conservation of rotating object energy???hmmmm okay.

5. Jul 17, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. You don't think that one can apply conservation of energy to rotating rigid bodies? Consider the potential and kinetic energy of the meter stick both when it is horizontal and vertical.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?