How Do Quaternions Rotate Vectors in 3D Space?

• Thread starter IgF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotating
In this case, we have R^-1 = -0.9239 + 0.3827i + 0j + 0.3827k, so the induced matrix for R is M = 2(0.9239 + 0.3827i + 0j + 0.3827k)(-0.9239 + 0.3827i + 0j + 0.3827k) - I.In summary, we have learned how to create a rotation quaternion using a given axis and angle, and how to apply it to a vector using the formula W = RVR*. We have also found the induced matrix for this rotation quaternion using the formula M =
IgF

Homework Statement

Hi, I have just started learning quarternions and I understand all the simple stuff like adding/subtracting, multiplication, inverse, magnitude and finding the complex conjugate but now I am trying to get my head around rotation and I can't seem to get anywere. So below is the question and then i'll show what I have found (im certain it is very wrong :rolleyes:).
I haven't yet tried to find the induced matrix as I am really unsure of this so any knowledge on that would also be very much appreciated. Sorry for the length but thanks in advance to anyone that can offer assistance.Create the view quaternion, V. The x, y, z, components are taken from the
“lookat” vector.

The scalar (real) component of the quaternion V is 0, hence this is a pure
quaternion.

Let “lookat” = < 0, 0, 1 >

Rotate the quaternion V by the following axis and angle.
Axis = < 0, 1, 0 >
Angle = pi / 4

You will need to encode the axis and angle in a quaternion, R. Find R.

Rotate the quaternion V by R, and hence find the resulting rotation W.

Where W = RVR*

Create the new “lookat” vector by getting the x, y, z, components form the

resulting W quaternion.

What is the resulting “lookat” vector?

Find the induced matrix for R.

The Attempt at a Solution

quarternion V = 0 + 0i + 0j + 1k

R =
(cos(45 / 2) + sin(45 / 2)0) = 0
(cos(45 / 2) + sin(45 / 2)1) = 1.3066
(cos(45 / 2) + sin(45 / 2)0) = 0

R = 0 + 0i + 1.3066j + 0k

W = RVR*

W = 0 + 0i + 0j - 1.705k

'look at' vector = < 0, 0, -1.71>

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for reaching out for assistance with your quaternion rotation problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the basic operations of quaternions, but may need some clarification on how to apply them to rotation.

Firstly, let's review the properties of quaternions. They are a four-dimensional extension of complex numbers, with the form a + bi + cj + dk, where a, b, c, and d are real numbers and i, j, and k are imaginary units. The key property of quaternions is that they can be used to represent rotations in three-dimensional space. This is because they can be written in the form q = cos(theta/2) + sin(theta/2)u, where theta is the angle of rotation and u is a unit vector representing the axis of rotation.

Now, let's address the specific problem at hand. We are given a "lookat" vector, which represents the direction in which an observer is looking. We want to rotate this vector by an angle of pi/4 (45 degrees) around an axis of <0,1,0>. To do this, we need to create a rotation quaternion R that encodes this information. We can do this by following these steps:

1. Normalize the axis vector. This is important because we want our quaternion to represent a unit rotation, and the axis vector may not be a unit vector. In this case, our axis vector is already normalized, so we can skip this step.

2. Calculate the angle of rotation, theta. In this case, theta = pi/4.

3. Use the formula q = cos(theta/2) + sin(theta/2)u to create the quaternion R. Since theta = pi/4, we have R = cos(pi/8) + sin(pi/8)u.

4. Substitute in the values for cosine and sine, and the axis vector <0,1,0>, to get R = 0.9239 + 0.3827i + 0j + 0.3827k.

Now that we have our rotation quaternion R, we can apply it to the "lookat" vector using the formula W = RVR*. This will give us the new "lookat" vector after rotation. We can also find the induced matrix for R by using the formula M = 2q*q^-1 - I, where q is the quaternion and q^-1 is

What are rotating quaternions and how do they help in scientific research?

Rotating quaternions are a mathematical concept used to represent rotations in three-dimensional space. They help in scientific research by providing a more efficient and accurate way to describe rotations and transformations of objects.

What are the advantages of using rotating quaternions compared to other methods?

Rotating quaternions have several advantages over other methods, including a more compact representation of rotations, more efficient calculations, and the ability to avoid singularities that can occur with other methods.

How are rotating quaternions used in computer graphics and animation?

Rotating quaternions are commonly used in computer graphics and animation to accurately represent and animate rotations of objects in a three-dimensional space. They are also used in video game programming and virtual reality applications.

Can rotating quaternions be applied to real-world physical systems?

Yes, rotating quaternions can be applied to real-world physical systems, such as robotics, aerospace engineering, and mechanics. They are used to model and analyze the rotations and movements of objects in these systems.

Are there any limitations or challenges in using rotating quaternions?

One limitation of rotating quaternions is that they can be difficult to visualize and understand compared to other methods. Additionally, they may require some mathematical background to fully grasp their concepts and applications. However, with proper understanding and implementation, rotating quaternions can be a powerful tool in scientific research.