Calculating the Top Accelerations of a Falling Chimney

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
In summary, a tall cylindrical chimney of length 55.0m falls over when its base is ruptured and makes an angle of 35.0° with the vertical. Using energy considerations, the tangential velocity of the top is found to be 26.27 m/s. To find the radial velocity, the trigonometry used should be corrected to cos35. The correct equation for radial acceleration is a_r = (v_t)^2 / r. Finally, to find the tangential acceleration, torque should be used instead of energy considerations.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A tall,cylindrical chimney falls over when its base is ruptured.Treat the chimney as a thin rod of length ##55.0m##.At the instant its makes an angle of ##35.0^°## with the vertical as it falls,what are the (a) ##a_r## of the top ? (b) ##a_t## of the top ? (Hint:Use energy considerations,not a torque )

Homework Equations

##mgh=\frac 1 2Iw^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

##L=55m##
For tangential veloctiy I found ##\frac 1 2Mg(L-Lsin(35))=\frac 1 2(\frac 1 3ML^2)(\frac {(V_{tan})^2} {L^2})##

from that I get ##V_{tan}=26.27 \frac m s##

I stucked here... I thought ##\frac {V_{tan}} {rt}=∝##

##t## is the time that end point comes that angle.
but it didnt worked out.

##a_r=\frac {(v_r)^2} {r}## I don't know how to find radial velocity...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
For tangential veloctiy I found ##\frac 1 2Mg(L-Lsin(35))=\frac 1 2(\frac 1 3ML^2)(\frac {(V_{tan})^2} {L^2})##
Check the trigonometry that you used to get the left side. (The 35o angle is measuresd from the vertical.)
I stucked here... I thought ##\frac {V_{tan}} {rt}=∝##

##t## is the time that end point comes that angle.
but it didnt worked out.
I don't understand your equation here. There is no need to worry about time in this problem.

##a_r=\frac {(v_r)^2} {r}## I don't know how to find radial velocity...
If a particle moves in a circle at constant speed, does it have any radial acceleration? Does it have any radial velocity? Thus, does your equation ##a_r=\frac {(v_r)^2} {r}## hold?

TSny said:
Check the trigonometry that you used to get the left side. (The 35o angle is measuresd from the vertical.)

sorry it will be cos35.
TSny said:
I don't understand your equation here. There is no need to worry about time in this problem.

its ##w-w_0=∝t##
TSny said:
If a particle moves in a circle at constant speed, does it have any radial acceleration? Does it have any radial velocity? Thus, does your equation ar=(vr)2rar=(vr)2ra_r=\frac {(v_r)^2} {r} hold?

I think velocity is a vector and as the rod moves , the velocity vector will change,thus, there will be some acceleration

Arman777 said:
sorry it will be cos35.
Yes.
I think velocity is a vector and as the rod moves , the velocity vector will change,thus, there will be some acceleration
Yes. If you review the basic formula for radial (or centripetal) acceleration of a particle moving in a circle, you will see that it does not involve radial velocity, it involves tangential velocity.

TSny said:
Yes.

Yes. If you review the basic formula for radial (or centripetal) acceleration of a particle moving in a circle, you will see that it does not involve radial velocity.

so its ##a_r=\frac {(v_t)^2} {r}## ??

Arman777 said:
so its ##a_r=\frac {(v_t)^2} {r}## ??
Yes, except be careful with signs (i.e., directions).

Ok I found ##a_r## correctly,what about ##a_t## ?

Arman777 said:
Ok I found ##a_r## correctly,what about ##a_t## ?
Despite the wording of the problem, I think using torque is the way to go here.

TSny said:
Despite the wording of the problem, I think using torque is the way to go here.

yep I found thanks again

1. What is rotation energy?

Rotation energy is a form of energy associated with the motion of an object around a central axis. It is also known as angular kinetic energy.

2. How is rotation energy calculated?

Rotation energy is calculated using the formula E = 1/2Iω^2, where E is the rotation energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What factors affect rotation energy?

The factors that affect rotation energy include the mass and shape of the rotating object, as well as the speed at which it is rotating.

4. What are some real-life examples of rotation energy?

Some examples of rotation energy in real life include spinning tops, rotating wheels, and the rotation of planets around the sun.

5. How is rotation energy related to other forms of energy?

Rotation energy is related to other forms of energy as it can be converted into other forms, such as heat or electricity. It is also a form of kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion.