Solving Rotation Homework: Answers & Explanations

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a rope, circular disk, and a hook in the ceiling. The questions asked include the type of motion performed by the disk, the angular and linear accelerations of the disk, and the force exerted on the hook while the disk falls. The equations used to solve the problem are also mentioned, and a sanity check is suggested to ensure the accuracy of the solution.
physicalerror
Hey, guys, can you lend me a hand with this problem? I wrote out some solution but it seems way too short and obvious so I am worried that my logic might be wrong. Thank you all for the input.

A rope is coiled around a homogeneous circular disk of mass m=20 kg and radius R=0,5 m. The disk starts rotating when it falls down with the rope being unwinded. One end of the rope is attached to a hook in the ceiling.

a) What kind of motion does the center of the circular disk perform?
b) What is the angular acceleration and the linear downward acceleration of the disk?
c) What is the force exerted on the hook while the disk falls down?

Here is what I get:
a) linear uniform motion
b) angular acceleration = 39,24 rad/s^2; linear acceleration = 19,62 m/s^2
c) force = 196,2 N

Totally wrong, no?

(Initially I accidentally posted this in the wrong section. Sorry!)

Physics news on Phys.org

What are the equations that you are using?

Anyways,
A safe sanity check is that for any object on Earth, if it is just falling, then the linear acceleration cannot be greater than 9.81 m/s^2

b) M=I*E=F*R where E denotes angular acceleration
=> 0,5*m*R^2*E=m*g*R => E=2*g/R=39,24 rad/s^2

a=R*E=19,62 m/s^2

c) T=G=m*g=196,2 N

Any ideas, anyone? Many thanks!

1. What is rotation homework?

Rotation homework is a type of assignment given in a math or physics class that involves solving problems related to rotational motion. This could include calculating angular velocity, moment of inertia, or torque.

2. How do I solve rotation homework problems?

To solve rotation homework problems, you will need to have a strong understanding of rotational motion concepts and equations. It is important to carefully read the problem and identify what is given and what is being asked. Then, you can use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving rotation homework?

Some common mistakes when solving rotation homework include using the wrong equation, not converting units correctly, and not considering the direction of rotation. It is important to double check your work and make sure all units are consistent.

4. Can you provide some tips for solving rotation homework?

Some tips for solving rotation homework include drawing diagrams to visualize the problem, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, and practicing with similar problems to improve understanding. It is also helpful to understand the physical meaning behind the equations being used.

5. How can I check my answers for rotation homework?

One way to check your answers for rotation homework is to plug them back into the original equation and see if they satisfy the equation. You can also compare your answer to similar problems or ask a classmate or teacher for help. Additionally, there are online resources and textbooks that provide solutions to rotation homework problems for reference.