Rotation of DNA in electric field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Eagle9
Messages
238
Reaction score
10
As known the DNA molecule has got negative electric charge. Imagine that linear (almost like a straight arrow) DNA is placed in water solution and we turn the electric field on. I would like to know if the DNA molecules can orientate/rotate so that they to stay along the field lines of the electric field.
O3mOANt.png

I have heard that that in Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis exactly this approach is used: the electric field can orientate the DNA molecules.

So, is it possible? :rolleyes:
b8cr8nu.gif
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Eagle9 said:
As known the DNA molecule has got negative electric charge. Imagine that linear (almost like a straight arrow) DNA is placed in water solution and we turn the electric field on. I would like to know if the DNA molecules can orientate/rotate so that they to stay along the field lines of the electric field.
What prevents them from moving towards the positive electrode?

I guess the orientation will depend on the charge distribution.
 
mfb
What prevents them from moving towards the positive electrode?
Of course nothing
I guess the orientation will depend on the charge distribution.
Perhaps
But I want to know if they are arranged along the field lines or not :rolleyes: