1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational and potential energy problem - Mastering physics

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"In a lab experiment you let a uniform ball roll down a curved track. The ball starts from rest and rolls without slipping. While on the track, the ball descends a vertical distance h. The lower end of the track is horizontal and extends over the edge of the lab table; the ball leaves the track traveling horizontally. While free falling after leaving the track, the ball moves a horizontal distance x and a vertical distance y."

"Calculate x in terms of h and y, ignoring the work done by friction."

h - height of ramp ball rolls down
    y- height of track above ground
    x - horizontal distance ball travels while falling
    g - acceleration due to gravity
    m - mass of ball
    r - radius of ball

2. Relevant equations

m*g*h = 1/2*m*v^2+1/2*I*(omega)^2 (potential energy equal to kinetic energy and rotational energy)
    I= 2/5*m*r^2 (moment of inertia for a sphere)
    (omega)=v/r
    x = x_0+v_0*t+1/2*a*t^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved for the velocity of the ball at the bottom of the ramp, mass and radius cancels out and got gh=6/10*v^2, so v=sqrt(10/6*gh). Then I tried to find the time it would take for the ball to fall y and got y=1/2gt^2 as there was no initial vertical velocity. So, i got t=sqrt((2y)/g). I then multiplied the velocity by the time because there should be no horizontal acceleration, and I got x = sqrt(6/10*gh)*sqrt((2y)/g) and mastering physics said "Your answer either contains an incorrect numerical multiplier or is missing one." so, I'm not sure what I should do, where I went wrong or whatever, so if anyone has any help, it would be appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2
    [tex]2E = 2m\vec{g}\vec{h} = m\vec{v}^2 + I\vec{\omega}^2 \left(=\frac{I\vec{v}^2}{\vec{r}^2}\right) = m\vec{v}^2 + I\vec{\omega}^2 + 2mgy[/tex]. Check this out. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?