Rotational energy from linear fields

In summary: I am not familiar enough with quantum mechanics to say for sure. In summary, an object accelerated by a linear field will have an increase in its rotational energy, but this increase is due to a change in the frequency of the object's quantum mechanical wavefunction, not due to a change in the object's angular momentum.
Chris FW
I am trying to understand how a charged object or an object with mass which is being accelerated by a linear field and therefore should accelerate in a purely linear fashion could possibly increase its rotational energy?
I am not looking for trivial answers perhaps a certain distribution of mass/ charge that is the shape of an object? But I would consider that any object independant of shape would accelerate in a straight line through the centre of mass/charge distribution.
Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
Chris FW

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, "rotational energy"? Do you mean you want to know how to increase it's angular momentum about some axis? When an object is moving in a straight line, it already has angular momentum about every axis except an axis passing directly through the line of its path (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Linear and angular momentum are the same thing from two different points of view.

That being said, uniform magnetic fields tend to accelerate things (moving charges) in a circular way. Is this what you're looking for?

Chris FW said:
I am trying to understand how a charged object or an object with mass which is being accelerated by a linear field and therefore should accelerate in a purely linear fashion could possibly increase its rotational energy?
I am not looking for trivial answers perhaps a certain distribution of mass/ charge that is the shape of an object? But I would consider that any object independant of shape would accelerate in a straight line through the centre of mass/charge distribution.
Chris FW

What do you mean with a linear field? As you know central forces cannot change angular momentum as the force is parallel to the position vector. There are however combinations of electric and magnetic fields that can change the angular momentum of a particle, notice that in this case the electromgnetic force has angular momentum of itself transferred to the particle! E.g. an electrically charged particle in a magnetic field is surrounded by both electric and magnetic fields that carries angular momentum.

Last edited:
Chris FW said:
Chris FW

For Example an electron accelerated by a uniform linear electric field in say a cathode ray tube will receive energy from the field and accelerate but its frequency will also increase (wavelength decrease) nothing to do with magnetic fields (F= q(VxB) but E=hf

Chris FW said:
For Example an electron accelerated by a uniform linear electric field in say a cathode ray tube will receive energy from the field and accelerate

True. That's classical physics, and no rotation involved.

but its frequency will also increase (wavelength decrease) nothing to do with magnetic fields (F= q(VxB) but E=hf

What do you mean by "its frequency"? Do you mean the frequency of the quantum mechanical wave function of the electron? If so, this is a correct statement, but then it's a quantum physics question. And yet, I still don't understand what that has to do with rotation or angular momentum. There is still no rotation involved.

Xezlec said:
What do you mean by "its frequency"? Do you mean the frequency of the quantum mechanical wave function of the electron? If so, this is a correct statement, but then it's a quantum physics question. And yet, I still don't understand what that has to do with rotation or angular momentum. There is still no rotation involved.

I think he means the 'relativstic' increase in energy (frequency) ...and thus what happens to the spin angular momentum in such a relativistic case.

1. What is rotational energy from linear fields?

Rotational energy from linear fields refers to the energy that is generated when a linear force or field is applied to an object that is free to rotate around an axis. This energy is known as rotational energy because it is associated with the rotation of an object.

2. How is rotational energy from linear fields calculated?

The amount of rotational energy from linear fields can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * I * w^2, where E is the rotational energy, I is the moment of inertia, and w is the angular velocity. This formula takes into account the mass and distribution of the object and the speed at which it rotates.

3. What is the relationship between linear and rotational energy?

Linear and rotational energy are interconnected, as any linear force or field applied to an object will also result in rotational energy. The amount of rotational energy generated is dependent on the magnitude of the linear force and the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How is rotational energy from linear fields used in real-world applications?

Rotational energy from linear fields is used in many real-world applications, such as in vehicles with rotating wheels, turbines in power plants, and even in sports equipment like golf clubs and baseball bats. It is also essential in understanding the movement and behavior of celestial bodies in space.

5. Can rotational energy from linear fields be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, rotational energy from linear fields can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or electrical energy. This conversion can be achieved through various mechanisms, such as generators or friction, and is essential in many technological advancements and daily activities.