1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinematics Question

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A computer disk drive is turned on starting from rest and has constant angular acceleration.
    If it took 0.680s for the drive to make its second complete revolution, how long did it take to make the first complete revolution? (t=?)
    2. Relevant equations
    Θ=(ct^2)/2 (i think)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, since the angular acceleration is constant, I'm assuming α=c (c being a constant).
    So then the intergral with respect to time, would be ω=ct, and then Θ=(ct^2)/2
    I tried solving for c using 4π(2 revolutions)=(c(.68^2))/2, and got 54.4 for c, and used that to solve for time of one revolution, but this is wrong. I guess what the problem is saying is that it took 0.680 seconds to go from 2π to 4π, so im stuck

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Take a step back. If something accelerates from rest and takes ##t_1## seconds to travel an angle ##\theta##, then how long does it take to travel a further ##\theta##?

4. Nov 7, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Quite so. Are you familiar with the SUVAT equations for constant linear acceleration? The equations for constant rotational acceleration are strongly analogous.

5. Nov 8, 2015 #4
    I believe so, ones like Θ=Θinitial+ωinitial(t)+(1/2)αt^2 right? Ive taken some time to look at those but I'm still stuck. I'm familiar with the method of subbing in when you have two unknown variables, but i feel like I'm missing more that that. All I know is that at a time it has gone 2π radians, and 0.680 seconds from that time it has gone another 2π radians. I feel like I'm just missing something

6. Nov 8, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Let ti, i = 0, 1, 2, be the time at which the ith rotation is completed (t0=0, of course). Likewise three 'distances' ##\theta_0, \theta_1, \theta_2##, one acceleration. What equations can you write down involving these?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted