How Is Angular Momentum Calculated in Rotational Kinematics?

In summary, the discussion was about finding the total angular momentum of a uniform stick rotating about its center of mass. The formula used was L = (r )(p) +1/12mL^2(w), where the first term represents angular momentum of any particle and the second term represents the object's moment of inertia. The formula was noted to be technically incorrect due to the first term being a vector and the second term being a scalar. The final answer was a negative value, which was obtained by using the right hand rule to determine the direction of rotation.
Rheegeaux
[Note: Post moved to homework forum by mentor]

So I stumbled upon a reviewer for my physics exam tomorrow and I was wondering how the equation was formulated. Your help is very much appreciated :) ! Normally I would consult my professor for this but it's Sunday in my country today so I can't.

Question:
A uniform stick with length 3.00 [m] and mass
5.00 [kg] is moving and rotating about its center of mass (CM) as
shown in the figure. If the stick and point O both lie in the same
xy-plane, what is the total angular momentum of the stick at point
O at the instant shown?

answer:
L = (r )(p) +1/12mL^2(w) = -76.7kmm^2/s positive k hat

Picture: http://postimg.org/image/u5eeo77el/96cf1d1b/
p6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first term ## r \times p## comes from the definition of angular momentum of any particle (or center of mass), while the second term comes from the fact that this object has a finite extent (i.e. moment of inertia). However, technically, the formula is incorrect since the first term is a vector while the second term seems to be a scalar (this doesn't disrupt the answer since you're given the direction of the rotation, just note that the formula isn't technically correct)

Brian T said:
the second term seems to be a scalar
ω should be a vector. Are you saying it seems to be a scalar because it is not in bold? The value is shown in the diagram as a vector (##\hat k##).

Brian T said:
The first term ## r \times p## comes from the definition of angular momentum of any particle (or center of mass), while the second term comes from the fact that this object has a finite extent (i.e. moment of inertia). However, technically, the formula is incorrect since the first term is a vector while the second term seems to be a scalar (this doesn't disrupt the answer since you're given the direction of the rotation, just note that the formula isn't technically correct)
how did it yield a negative answer? What I got was letter D. my solution is: (5kg)(7.50m/s)(4m)sin(35) + 1/12(5kg)(3m)^2(2.50 rad) = 95.411
Thanks for the reply, I really need to learn this before tomorrow. Cheers :)

Rheegeaux said:
how did it yield a negative answer? What I got was letter D. my solution is: (5kg)(7.50m/s)(4m)sin(35) + 1/12(5kg)(3m)^2(2.50 rad) = 95.411
Thanks for the reply, I really need to learn this before tomorrow. Cheers :)
I got it already *ZOINKS* I just needed to use the right hand rule

What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis, such as a spinning top or a wheel.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are different because they measure different types of motion. Linear velocity measures how fast an object is moving in a straight line, while angular velocity measures how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis.

What is the relationship between angular acceleration and angular velocity?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. This means that angular acceleration measures how much an object's angular velocity changes over time.

How is rotational kinematics related to Newton's laws of motion?

Rotational kinematics is related to Newton's laws of motion because rotational motion follows the same laws as linear motion. Newton's first law states that an object will maintain its state of motion (including rotation) unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law relates the force applied to an object to its acceleration, and Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.