1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinematics

1. Apr 9, 2016 #1
    [Note: Post moved to homework forum by mentor]

So I stumbled upon a reviewer for my physics exam tomorrow and I was wondering how the equation was formulated. Your help is very much appreciated :) ! Normally I would consult my professor for this but it's Sunday in my country today so I can't.

Question:
    A uniform stick with length 3.00 [m] and mass
    5.00 [kg] is moving and rotating about its center of mass (CM) as
    shown in the figure. If the stick and point O both lie in the same
    xy-plane, what is the total angular momentum of the stick at point
    O at the instant shown?

answer:
    L = (r )(p) +1/12mL^2(w) = -76.7kmm^2/s positive k hat

Picture: http://postimg.org/image/u5eeo77el/96cf1d1b/
    p6.png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2016 #2
    The first term ## r \times p## comes from the definition of angular momentum of any particle (or center of mass), while the second term comes from the fact that this object has a finite extent (i.e. moment of inertia). However, technically, the formula is incorrect since the first term is a vector while the second term seems to be a scalar (this doesn't disrupt the answer since you're given the direction of the rotation, just note that the formula isn't technically correct)

4. Apr 9, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

ω should be a vector. Are you saying it seems to be a scalar because it is not in bold? The value is shown in the diagram as a vector (##\hat k##).

5. Apr 10, 2016 #4
    how did it yield a negative answer? What I got was letter D. my solution is: (5kg)(7.50m/s)(4m)sin(35) + 1/12(5kg)(3m)^2(2.50 rad) = 95.411
    Thanks for the reply, I really need to learn this before tomorrow. Cheers :)

6. Apr 10, 2016 #5
    I got it already *ZOINKS* I just needed to use the right hand rule

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted