1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Motion and speed of a disc

1. Jun 22, 2012 #1
    A 36.5-cm diameter disk rotates with a constant angular acceleration of 2.00 rad/s2. It starts from rest at t = 0, and a line drawn from the center of the disk to a point P on the rim of the disk makes an angle of 57.3° with the positive x-axis at this time.

(a) Find the angular speed of the wheel at t = 2.30 s.
    (b) Find the linear velocity and tangential acceleration of P at t = 2.30 s.
    (c) Find the position of P (in degrees, with respect to the positive x-axis) at t = 2.30s.

(a) to solve for angular speed W=at or W=(2)(2.3) and got 4.6m/s

(b) first I calculated the radius by multiplying 36.5*.01 then dividing by 2 and got .1825.

next I plugged it into V=(.1825)(4.6) to solve for linear velocity and got .8395.

To get tangential acceleration I used A=(.1825)(2) and got .365.

(c) θ=1+.5(2)(2.3)^2 and got 6.29 radians which I converted to degrees and got 360.39 and subtracted 360 to get position with respect to positive x-axis.

Not sure If I did part this right can I get some verification??

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2012 #2
    Well ..... why u added 1 to θ in the (c) part ?
    the formula simply says-
    θ=ωot + αt2
    and ωo is initial rotational velocity.... and since disk was at rest at t=0 so ωo = 0
    rest all is correct.

4. Jun 22, 2012 #3
    The reason I did that in part c was because I subtracted θo to the right side of the equation. I thought the initial angular displacement would be 1 since it is one radian.

5. Jun 22, 2012 #4
    I meant I added it to the right side of the equation oops

6. Jun 22, 2012 #5
    ...... sorry ..... yes .... you are correct .
    even i meant Δθ by θ.
    and yes .... your answer is correct.

7. Jun 22, 2012 #6
    ok thanks

8. Jun 23, 2012 #7
    yes .... but the direction of angular acceleration will make a difference, if its clockwise or anticlockwise, the final angle with the x-axis would be different in the two cases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook