Rotational Motion and speed of a disc

In summary, a 36.5-cm diameter disk with a constant angular acceleration of 2.00 rad/s2 starts from rest at t=0 and a line drawn from the center of the disk to a point P on the rim makes an angle of 57.3° with the positive x-axis. By using formulas for angular speed, linear velocity, tangential acceleration, and position, it was determined that at t=2.30 s, the angular speed is 4.6 m/s, the linear velocity is 0.8395 m/s, the tangential acceleration is 0.365 m/s2, and the position of P with respect to the positive x-axis is 0.39°. The
nbroyle1
A 36.5-cm diameter disk rotates with a constant angular acceleration of 2.00 rad/s2. It starts from rest at t = 0, and a line drawn from the center of the disk to a point P on the rim of the disk makes an angle of 57.3° with the positive x-axis at this time.

(a) Find the angular speed of the wheel at t = 2.30 s.
(b) Find the linear velocity and tangential acceleration of P at t = 2.30 s.
(c) Find the position of P (in degrees, with respect to the positive x-axis) at t = 2.30s.

(a) to solve for angular speed W=at or W=(2)(2.3) and got 4.6m/s

(b) first I calculated the radius by multiplying 36.5*.01 then dividing by 2 and got .1825.

next I plugged it into V=(.1825)(4.6) to solve for linear velocity and got .8395.

To get tangential acceleration I used A=(.1825)(2) and got .365.

(c) θ=1+.5(2)(2.3)^2 and got 6.29 radians which I converted to degrees and got 360.39 and subtracted 360 to get position with respect to positive x-axis.

Not sure If I did part this right can I get some verification??

Physics news on Phys.org
Well ... why u added 1 to θ in the (c) part ?
the formula simply says-
θ=ωot + αt2
and ωo is initial rotational velocity... and since disk was at rest at t=0 so ωo = 0
rest all is correct.

The reason I did that in part c was because I subtracted θo to the right side of the equation. I thought the initial angular displacement would be 1 since it is one radian.

I meant I added it to the right side of the equation oops

... sorry ... yes ... you are correct .
even i meant Δθ by θ.
and yes ... your answer is correct.

ok thanks

yes ... but the direction of angular acceleration will make a difference, if its clockwise or anticlockwise, the final angle with the x-axis would be different in the two cases.

FAQ: Rotational Motion and speed of a disc

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It involves the object's rotation rather than its translation.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves the rotation of an object around an axis, while linear motion involves the movement of an object in a straight line.

3. What is the speed of a disc in rotational motion?

The speed of a disc in rotational motion is determined by its angular velocity, which is the rate at which it rotates around its axis. It is measured in radians per second.

4. How is the speed of a disc related to its radius?

The speed of a disc is directly proportional to its radius. This means that as the radius increases, the speed also increases, and as the radius decreases, the speed decreases.

5. What factors affect the speed of a disc in rotational motion?

The speed of a disc in rotational motion is affected by its radius, mass, and angular acceleration. It is also influenced by external factors such as friction and air resistance.

Back