Rotational motion/conservation HW problem

• Thread starter EndoBendo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotational
In summary, a horizontal vinyl record of mass 0.10 kg and radius 0.1 m, with an initial angular speed of 4.7 rad/s, has a rotational inertia of 0.0005 kg*m^2 about its axis of rotation. After a wad of wet putty with a mass of 0.020 kg is dropped onto the record and sticks to the edge, the total moment of inertia becomes 0.0007 kg*m^2. The final angular speed of the record can be calculated using the equation 0.0007 * final angular velocity = 0.0005 * 4.7, resulting in a final angular speed of 3.36 rad/s.
EndoBendo
A horizontal vinyl record of mass 0.10 kg and radius 0.1 m rotates freely about a vertical axis through its center with an angular speed of 4.7 rad/s. The rotational inertia of the record about its axis of rotation is 0.0005 kg*m^2. A wad of wet putty of mass 0.020 kg drops vertically onto the record from above and sticks to the edge of the record. What is the angular speed of the record immediately after the putty sticks to it?

Did I do this correctly?? I really struggled to get this lol

Angular momentum = moment of inertia * angular velocity
Moment of inertia of a solid cylinder, like the record = ½ * mass * radius^2

I = ½ * 0.1 * 0.1^2 = 0.0005
Initial angular momentum = 0.0005 * 4.7

Moment of inertia putty = mass * radius^2
I = 0.02 * 0.1^2 = 0.0002

Total moment of inertia after the sticks to the edge of the record = Sum of I’s = 0.0007
Final angular momentum = 0.0007 * final angular velocity

Final angular momentum = Initial angular momentum
0.0007 * final angular velocity = 0.0005 * 4.7

new angular velcoity = 3.36 rad/s

Physics news on Phys.org
All correct!

many thanks! I just wanted to make sure i wasnt crazy lol

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed axis, such as a wheel rotating on its axle or a planet orbiting around the sun.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around a fixed axis, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion often involves angular velocity and acceleration, while linear motion involves linear velocity and acceleration.

3. What is conservation of rotational motion?

Conservation of rotational motion is the principle that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that no external torque is acting on the system, and any changes in rotational motion within the system are balanced out by opposite changes in other parts of the system.

4. How do you calculate angular velocity and acceleration?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. Both are typically measured in radians per second or radians per second squared, respectively.

5. Can you provide an example of a conservation of rotational motion problem?

One example of a conservation of rotational motion problem is a spinning top. As the top spins, its angular momentum remains constant, meaning that any changes in its rotational motion are balanced out by changes in the motion of the rest of the top. This is why a spinning top can remain upright for a longer period of time compared to a stationary top.