Rotational motion of rear wheels

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 1500 kg car on ramps, with the front wheels raised 0.3 m above the rear wheels. The car's weight is distributed evenly between the front and rear wheels when it is level, but when the front is lifted higher, more weight is pushed onto the rear wheels. The conversation also mentions a free-body diagram and two normal forces acting on the front and rear wheels, as well as horizontal surface forces. The question asks for the first step in solving the problem.
TeeNaa
A 1500 kg car is driven onto a pair of ramps so that it fronts wheels have been raised 0.3 m above the rear wheels. The wheel base of the car is 2.4m and it center of gravity is located at the midpoint between the front and rear wheels. How much of the car's weight is supported by the rear wheels? - The problem I'm having in this question is interpreting what the question is asking for. I just need on on setting up the problem as on what I should find first. Thanks

This is what I drew but I have no idea what to use to solve with these given information.
2Oo2Bn4.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
When the car is level, it's weight is distributed evenly between the front and rear wheels, but when the front is lifted higher, more weight gets pushed onto the back than the front. Can you see why?

What has happened to the weight vector, compared with the wheel positions, to make that happen?

If you draw a free-body diagram of the situation - you get two normal forces: one from the front wheels and one from the back wheels. You also get horizontal surface forces at each wheel-set.

@Simon, thank you for the reply.
For the first question, yes I can see why the weight would be pushed back. For the second question, I don't know what that really mean. I understand why there is two normal force because of the wheel set but I do not understand the horizontal surface forces part. What would I have to find first in this case? Thanks again.

The question involves a free body diagram where not all the forces act through the center of mass.
Other than that, it is still statics.

Based on the information provided, it seems like the question is asking for the amount of weight that is being supported by the rear wheels of the car. To solve this problem, you will need to use the concept of rotational motion and equilibrium. Here are the steps you can follow to solve this problem:

1. Draw a free body diagram of the car, showing all the forces acting on it. This will include the weight of the car (mg), the normal forces from the front and rear wheels, and the forces from the ramps.

2. Since the car is in rotational equilibrium, the sum of all the torques acting on it must be equal to zero. The torque due to the weight of the car will depend on the distance between the center of gravity and the point where the weight is acting. In this case, since the center of gravity is located at the midpoint between the front and rear wheels, the distance from the center of gravity to the weight is 0.3m/2 = 0.15m.

3. The torque due to the normal forces from the front and rear wheels will depend on their respective distances from the center of gravity. Since the wheel base is 2.4m, the distance from the center of gravity to the front wheels is 2.4m/2 = 1.2m. Similarly, the distance from the center of gravity to the rear wheels is also 1.2m.

4. Now, set up the equation for rotational equilibrium:
Sum of torques = 0
(mg)(0.15m) + (normal force from front wheels)(1.2m) + (normal force from rear wheels)(1.2m) = 0

5. We know that the weight of the car is equal to its mass (1500kg) multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2). So we can substitute this into the equation:
(1500kg)(9.8m/s^2)(0.15m) + (normal force from front wheels)(1.2m) + (normal force from rear wheels)(1.2m) = 0

6. Since the car is in equilibrium, the sum of the normal forces from the front and rear wheels must be equal to the weight of the car. So we can rewrite the equation as:
(1500kg)(9.8m/s^2)(0

FAQ: Rotational motion of rear wheels

1. What is rotational motion of rear wheels?

Rotational motion of rear wheels refers to the movement of the wheels on a vehicle around their axis of rotation. This motion is responsible for propelling the vehicle forward or backward.

2. How is rotational motion of rear wheels different from translational motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around an axis, while translational motion involves movement in a straight line. In the case of rear wheels, rotational motion is responsible for turning the wheels, while translational motion is responsible for the forward or backward movement of the vehicle.

3. What factors affect the rotational motion of rear wheels?

The rotational motion of rear wheels can be affected by factors such as the torque applied to the wheels, the friction between the wheels and the surface, and the weight of the vehicle.

4. How does rotational motion of rear wheels impact vehicle handling?

The rotational motion of rear wheels is crucial for vehicle handling as it allows for turning and maneuvering. The speed and direction of the rotational motion can greatly affect the vehicle's ability to make sharp turns or maintain stability on the road.

5. How can the rotational motion of rear wheels be optimized for better performance?

The rotational motion of rear wheels can be optimized by ensuring proper alignment, regular maintenance and lubrication, and using high-quality tires. Additionally, adjusting the weight distribution of the vehicle can also impact the rotational motion and overall performance of the rear wheels.

Back