Rotational Motion of the sun

In summary, the Sun has a radius of approximately 654,499 km, when viewed from Earth at a distance of 150 million km, with an angle of 0.5 degrees. This is calculated using the formula theta = D/R, where theta represents the angle, D represents the diameter, and R represents the distance.
needhelp83
The Sun subtends an angle of about 0.5 degrees to us on the Earth, 150 million km away. What is the radius of the Sun?

theta=l/R

(2pi rad/360 degrees)0.5 degrees=2pi(150,000,000 km)

This should be simple, but the answer I get seems to not sound right at all

Have i set this up correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
needhelp83 said:
The Sun subtends an angle of about 0.5 degrees to us on the Earth, 150 million km away. What is the radius of the Sun?

theta=l/R

(2pi rad/360 degrees)0.5 degrees=2pi(150,000,000 km)

This should be simple, but the answer I get seems to not sound right at all

Have i set this up correctly?
Why is the title of this thread rotational motion? This is something else. Your equation is correct for finding the diameter of the sun, and you do need to convert to radians as you have done. If I may change the letter for diameter to D, you have

theta = D/R

where R is the distance from the sun to the earth. Solve this for D and try your calculation again. Then remember to find the radius of the sun from D.

theta =D/R

(2pi rad/360°)(0.5°)=D/(150,000,000 km)

D=(1,308,997 km)

R=(1,308,997 km)/2= 654,499 km

Better?

needhelp83 said:
theta =D/R

(2pi rad/360°)(0.5°)=D/(150,000,000 km)

D=(1,308,997 km)

R=(1,308,997 km)/2= 654,499 km

Better?
Much better

What causes the sun to rotate?

The sun's rotation is caused by the conservation of angular momentum. As the solar nebula collapsed during the formation of the sun, it began to rotate faster due to the conservation of angular momentum. This rotation has been maintained over billions of years.

How long does it take for the sun to complete one rotation?

The sun takes approximately 27 days to complete one rotation at its equator. However, the rotation period increases as you move towards the poles, with the polar regions taking about 35 days to make a full rotation.

Does the sun rotate in the same direction as the planets?

Yes, the sun and the planets all rotate counterclockwise when viewed from above the North Pole of the solar system. This is known as prograde rotation.

How does the sun's rotation affect its magnetic field?

The sun's rotation plays a crucial role in creating and maintaining its magnetic field. As the sun rotates, the plasma inside it also rotates, creating a dynamo effect that generates a strong magnetic field. This magnetic field is responsible for many solar phenomena, such as solar flares and sunspots.

Could the sun's rotation ever change?

While the sun's rotation is currently stable, it is possible for it to change over time. Factors such as interactions with other stars, gravitational interactions with the planets, and internal processes could potentially influence the sun's rotation in the distant future.