Rotational motion on pulley system

In summary, for a string passing over a pulley with a 3.80-kg mass and a 3.15-kg mass, and a uniform solid cylinder of radius 4.0 cm and mass 0.80 kg, with frictionless bearings, the acceleration can be found by isolating T1 and T2 and substituting their values into the equation a=(2T2-2T1)/m. This will give the numerical value of a.
NathanLeduc1

Homework Statement

A string passing over a pulley has a 3.80-kg mass hanging from one end and a 3.15-kg mass hanging from the other end. The pulley is a uniform solid cylinder of radius 4.0 cm and mass 0.80 kg. If the bearings of they pulley were frictionless, what would be the acceleration of the two masses?

Homework Equations

I=0.5mr2
a=rα
Ʃτ=Iα
τ=Fr
T1-mAg=mAa
mBg-T2=mBa

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried rearranging the bottom two equations into the form:
a=(T1-mAg)/mA
a=(mBg-T2)/mB

I then plugged variables into the following equation:
Ʃτ=0.5mr2α
(T2-T1)r=0.5mr2α
(T2-T1)r=0.5mr2(a/r)

This equation then simplifies to:
a=(2T2-2T1)/m

This is where I'm stuck. How do I proceed from here? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
NathanLeduc1 said:

Homework Statement

A string passing over a pulley has a 3.80-kg mass hanging from one end and a 3.15-kg mass hanging from the other end. The pulley is a uniform solid cylinder of radius 4.0 cm and mass 0.80 kg. If the bearings of they pulley were frictionless, what would be the acceleration of the two masses?

Homework Equations

I=0.5mr2
a=rα
Ʃτ=Iα
τ=Fr
T1-mAg=mAa
mBg-T2=mBa

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried rearranging the bottom two equations into the form:
a=(T1-mAg)/mA 1
a=(mBg-T2)/mB 2

I then plugged variables into the following equation:
Ʃτ=0.5mr2α
(T2-T1)r=0.5mr2α
(T2-T1)r=0.5mr2(a/r)

This equation then simplifies to:
a=(2T2-2T1)/m

This is where I'm stuck. How do I proceed from here? Thanks.

Isolate T1 from 1 and T2 from 2 and substitute them into the last equation.

ehild

Okay, I can do that but then how do I solve for T1 and T2?

NathanLeduc1 said:
Okay, I can do that but then how do I solve for T1 and T2?

Substitute the numerical value for a in equations 1) and 2).

ehild

To find the acceleration of the two masses in this pulley system, you can use the equations of rotational motion and Newton's second law. As you have correctly identified, the torque equation is Ʃτ=Iα, where Ʃτ is the net torque, I is the moment of inertia of the pulley, and α is the angular acceleration. In this case, the net torque would be equal to (T1-T2)r, where r is the radius of the pulley.

Next, you can use the equations T1-mAg=mAa and mBg-T2=mBa, where T1 and T2 are the tensions in the string on either side of the pulley, m is the mass of each hanging object, a is the acceleration, and g is gravity. These equations represent the forces acting on each mass - the tension of the string pulling them up, and their weight pulling them down.

By substituting the expression for net torque into the torque equation, you can solve for the angular acceleration α. Then, using this value of α, you can solve for the acceleration a using either of the two equations involving the tensions and masses.

It's also worth noting that in this system, both masses will have the same acceleration since they are connected by the same string. So you can solve for the acceleration of one mass and it will be the same for the other.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is rotational motion on a pulley system?

Rotational motion on a pulley system refers to the movement of an object attached to a pulley as it rotates around an axis. This type of motion is commonly seen in simple machines, such as a pulley system used to lift objects.

2. How does a pulley system work in rotational motion?

A pulley system works by using a rope or cable to wrap around a wheel or rotating drum. As the wheel or drum rotates, it changes the direction of the force applied to the object, allowing it to move vertically or horizontally.

3. What factors affect rotational motion on a pulley system?

The factors that affect rotational motion on a pulley system include the mass of the object being lifted, the amount of friction in the system, and the force applied to the rope or cable. The size and shape of the pulley can also impact the motion.

4. How is rotational motion on a pulley system calculated?

The rotational motion on a pulley system can be calculated using the equation T=Iα, where T is the torque or rotational force, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. Other variables, such as the radius of the pulley and the force applied, may also be included in the calculation.

5. What are some real-life applications of rotational motion on pulley systems?

Pulley systems are commonly used in elevators, cranes, and construction equipment to lift heavy objects. They are also used in exercise equipment, such as weight machines, to provide resistance. In addition, pulley systems can be found in vehicles, such as bicycles and cars, to help with steering and power transmission.