Why Am I Getting the Wrong Answers in These Rotational Motion Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to kinematics, specifically angular acceleration and centripetal acceleration. The first question involves finding the angular acceleration of a tire on a balancing machine, and the second question asks for the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of a person sitting on the edge of a revolving restaurant. The conversation includes various attempts and formulas used to solve the problems, but the final solution is not included. The person asks for further clarification and help from their teacher.
porschedriver192
I have been stuck on these forever...but here goes:

1st question:

A tire placed on a balancing machine in a service station starts from rest and turns through 5.5 revs in 1.0 s before reaching its final angular speed. Assuming that the angular acceleration of the wheel is constant, calculate the wheel's angular acceleration.

I know that you have to convert 5.5 rev into pi rad, but I keep getting the wrong answer (this is on an online HW assignment).

work:

formula aavg = (w2-w1)/(t2-t1)

5.5 x 2 pi = 34.5575 pi rad

(34.5575 - 0) / (1.0 s) = (I get it wrong here)
----------
2nd question (this one makes me angrier!)

The Emerald Suite, a revolving restaurant at the top of the Space Needle in Seattle, Washington, makes a complete turn once every hour. What is the tangential speed of a customer sitting 16.0 m from the restaurant's center?

Ok, I know the formula and setup, but am getting stuck on converting the rotation of the restaurant into what I need: is it rev/s, rev/min? And then do I multiply by 2 pi?

The formula is this:

at = ra

my work: 1 rev/hr = .0166 rev/min = 2.766e-4 rev/sec

2.766e-4 x 2 pi =

.0017 rad x 15 s = .0255 m/s (wrong answer it says)

------
Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Question 1:

5.5 rev is the angular displacement the wheel goes through. You seem to have used it as angular velocity. Think of a different kinematics equation to use here.

Question 2:

You are using the equation for tangential acceleration but the restaurant isn't accelerating! The formula you need here is v=rw

Just a little more help please...

Thanks for the reply, I was eventually able to work through it and get my answer! It turns out that I had the formula wrong.
---

This is similar to the second question I had, but they want the centripetal accel.

The Emerald Suite, a revolving restaurant at the top of the Space Needle in Seattle, Washington, makes a complete turn once every hour. What is the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of the customer sitting 15.0 m from the restaurant's center?

I first found the avg disp: (1/60/60 x 2 pi) / (15) = 1.163e-4

then the avg angular speed: 1.163e-4/3600 seconds (this may be my problem)

= 3.232e-8

centripetal accel: a= rw^2

15 x 3.232e-8 = answer that it said is wrong
---------

Second question, going back to my orininal post, I cannot find the answer for the tire. (If you need the problem, it is in my first post)

The question asks for avg. angular accel,

so I did a avg = w2-w1 / t2-t1
5.5 (x 2pi) - 0 / 1 sec - 0 = 34.55 (which it said is wrong)

------
Any help would again be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I think you have the right idea, but there's a much easier way.

Find the speed by considering the circumference and period in the form of distance=rateXtime

Put that into a=v^2/r

The problem in the first question:

5.5 rev is the angular displacement. 5.5 x 2pi is also displacement. Dividing this by time will just get you angular velocity. Recall some of your basic kinematic equations (list them here so I can see if you're missing one), and find one that uses displacement, acceleration and time.

Thanks for the reply, but I am still unsure as what to do:

the first (here's the question again)

The Emerald Suite, a revolving restaurant at the top of the Space Needle in Seattle, Washington, makes a complete turn once every hour. What is the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of the customer sitting 15.0 m from the restaurant's center?

Do I assume that the diameter is 15 m? And then do I do pi15^2 for the circumference? I am still unsure about the rate though.
--------
The second: these are my formulas so far (which would relate to this problem):

ang disp = change in arc lenth / distance from arc length

(I think this one is it!? but how do I get the disp from the given info?)
>>>avg angular speed = ang disp / time interval

avg angular accel = change in angular speed / time interval

(I also have the tangental ones, but they don't relate to this problem).
------

Thanks for your continued help, I am looking forward to solving these problems!

Last edited:
The radius is 15m which means you can find the linear distance covered with C=2piR (formula for circumference). You also have the time it takes to cover this distance. Which should make it easy to find the speed of a person on the edge.

s=vt
v=vi + at
s= s_i + v_i*t + .5at^2
v^2=v_i^2 + 2as

Remember these equations from the kinematics you probably did at the beginning of the year? They can also be written for angular values.

[tex]

s = v t

[/tex]
[tex]
v = v_i + a t \ \
[/tex]
[tex]
s = s_i + v_i t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2 \ \
[/tex]
[tex]
v^2 = v^2_i + 2 a s

[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks again for sticking with me, but I am still pretty confused. I'll just ask my teacher to walk me through the steps to see where I messed up. Thanks though.

FAQ: Why Am I Getting the Wrong Answers in These Rotational Motion Problems?

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or pivot point.

2. What is the difference between rotational motion and translational motion?

Translational motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis.

3. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of an object's angular position, while linear velocity is the rate of change of an object's linear position.

4. What is the relationship between angular acceleration and torque?

Angular acceleration is directly proportional to the torque applied to an object. This means that a greater torque will result in a greater angular acceleration.

5. How is angular momentum conserved in rotational motion?

In rotational motion, angular momentum is conserved as long as there is no external torque acting on the system. This means that the total angular momentum of the system remains constant throughout the motion.

Back