Rotational Period of Large Body

In summary, the Sun currently has a radius of 7x10^8 m and rotates on its axis every 25 days. When it expands into a Red Giant in about 4 billion years, with a radius of 1.5x10^11 m, its rotational period assuming the same mass and uniform spherical distribution will be 1147959.18 days. The equation used to calculate this is T = square root of (4 x pi^2 x r^3/ G x m), with G being 6.673x10^-11.
GypsySmash

Homework Statement

The Sun rotates on its axis every 25 days. The sun currently has a radius of 7X10^8 m. When it expands into a Red Giant (in about 4 billion years) it will have a radius of 1.5X10^11 m. What will its rotational period be assuming the same mass for both, and they are both uniformly distributed spherical masses? (Note that these are not realistic assumptions)

Homework Equations

T = square root of (4 x pi^2 x r^3/ G x m)

G = 6.673x10^-11

The Attempt at a Solution

T = 3.167x10^7 sec, 366.59 yrs

Am I even answering the question asked?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
The Sun is not in orbit about itself. So the period of an orbiting body about the Sun is not going to help here.

However, the Sun is rotating. What's conserved?

ok, here's another shot.

If (2/5xmxr^2)(2pi/t) = (2/5xmxr^2)(2pi/t) I can just solve for the Tfinal.

I can cancel some stuff out and get R^2/T = R^2/T and cross multiply.

(1.5x10^11)^2 x 25 days = 5.625x10^23

5.625x10^23 / (7x10^8)^2 = 1147959.18 daysHow am I looking there?

Looking good! :approve:

Would someone double check that for me?

It looks correct to me.

Despite your using the same variable names for both the initial and final radii and periods during your algebra working, you arrived at a correct result.

It would have been more clear if you had done all the work symbolically until the last step where you could plug in the numbers.

1. What is the rotational period of a large body?

The rotational period of a large body is the amount of time it takes for the body to complete one full rotation on its axis. This can vary greatly depending on the size and composition of the body.

2. How is the rotational period of a large body measured?

The rotational period of a large body is typically measured using data from telescopes or spacecraft. These observations can track the movement of surface features or analyze changes in light patterns to determine the rotational period.

3. What factors can affect the rotational period of a large body?

The rotational period of a large body can be affected by several factors such as its size, shape, composition, and distance from its parent star or planet. For example, bodies with a larger mass or slower rotation rate may have longer rotational periods, while those closer to their parent star may have shorter rotational periods due to gravitational forces.

4. How does the rotational period of a large body impact its physical characteristics?

The rotational period of a large body can greatly influence its physical characteristics. For example, a shorter rotational period can result in a more oblate shape (flattened at the poles) due to centrifugal forces, while a longer rotational period can lead to more uniform surface features.

5. Can the rotational period of a large body change over time?

Yes, the rotational period of a large body can change over time due to various factors such as interactions with other bodies, tidal forces, or internal processes such as convection. These changes can occur over long periods of time and may be difficult to detect without precise measurements.