Finding the Maximum Angle for Equilibrium in a Rotational Statics Problem

In summary, a uniform meter stick with one end against a vertical wall and the other end held by a lightweight cord at an angle \theta must have a maximum angle of \theta = arctan(\mu \frac{x}{1-x}) for the stick to remain in equilibrium, where \mu is the coefficient of static friction and x is the distance from the wall to the point where the string is attached. The mass of the meter stick is negligible and it is assumed to be in a state of equilibrium.
µ³
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/6237/yffigure11407dw.jpg
"One end of a uniform meter stick is placed against a vertical wall View Figure . The other end is held by a lightweight cord that makes an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the stick. The coefficient of static friction between the end of the meter stick and the wall is 0.400 ."

I can't for the life of me get the equation for this.
Part A:
What is the maximum value the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] can have if the stick is to remain in equilibrium?
So far I've tried using the last end as a pivot point.
so that would give me
Balancing torque:
[tex]\mu T cos(\theta) = mg(1-x)[/tex]
and balancing total forces
[tex]\mu T cos(\theta) + T sin(\theta) = mg [/tex]
combining the two
produces
[tex] T sin(\theta) = mgx[/tex]
dividing the third by the first gives me
[tex] tan(\theta) = \mu \frac{x}{1-x} [/tex]
and there is no way I can get a "max theta". Naturally I can't get Part B and C but I figured if you guys can help me with A it will be easy to get the rest.

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the mass of the meter rule? Is it light?

Hootenanny said:
What is the mass of the meter rule? Is it light?
negligible I presume.

Can you draw the forces in that figure?
µ³ said:
So far I've tried using the last end as a pivot point.
This is the end of the ruler not touching the wall, right?

so that would give me
Balancing torque:
I see a mistake here. What torque does the string exert about the point of attachment of the string? And are there no other forces on the ruler that exert a torque about this point?

Again, never do a force problem without a free body diagram.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Can you draw the forces in that figure?
This is the end of the ruler not touching the wall, right?

I see a mistake here. What torque does the string exert about the point of attachment of the string? And are there no other forces on the ruler that exert a torque about this point?

Again, never do a force problem without a free body diagram.
Yeah that's the end of the ruler not touching the wall. I thought about the string itself exhibiting torque but since I chose it as a pivot point it wouldn't make much sense if it did. Can you suggest an alternate pivot point? I also considered using the end touching the wall as pivot point and that gave me the equation
[tex]T sin(\theta) = mgx [/tex]
which was already derived from the first two. I also considered using the ruler's center of mass a pivot point and that didn't give me a sensical answer either.
http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/4207/yffigure11407dw28yw.jpg
Pretty sure that's right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps taking moments about the centre of the rule since we don't know its mass? I haven't worked through this problem so don't take my word for it.

Hootenanny said:
Perhaps taking moments about the centre of the rule since we don't know its mass? I haven't worked through this problem so don't take my word for it.
[tex] 1/2 \mu T cos(\theta) + mg(x-1/2) = 1/2 T sin(\theta) [/tex]
[tex] \mu T cos(\theta) + T sin(\theta) = mg [/tex]

so...
[tex] \mu T cos(\theta) + 2mgx -mg= T sin(\theta) [/tex]
[tex] \mu T cos(\theta) + 2mgx -\mu T cos(\theta) - Tsin(\theta)= T sin(\theta) [/tex]
an equation I already had
[tex] mgx = T sin(\theta) [/tex]
and reapplying the second equation
you get
[tex] \mu T cos(\theta) + T sin(\theta) = mg [/tex]
[tex] \mu T cos(\theta) + mgx = mg [/tex]
and we're back where we started. So so far, I've chosen the left end (ruler touching wall), the right end (string pulling on ruler), and midpoint and gotten the same answer for all of them. Argrhgrh what am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

What is rotational statics?

Rotational statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the equilibrium of objects that are subject to rotational forces. It involves analyzing the balance of torques around a pivot point, also known as the center of rotation.

What is the difference between rotational statics and linear statics?

The main difference between rotational statics and linear statics is that rotational statics involves the analysis of forces acting on an object that is free to rotate, while linear statics deals with forces acting on an object that is fixed in place.

How do you solve a rotational statics problem?

To solve a rotational statics problem, you need to follow these steps: 1) Draw a free body diagram of the object, showing all the forces acting on it. 2) Choose a pivot point and calculate the torque of each force around that point. 3) Set the sum of torques equal to zero to find the unknown forces. 4) Check if the object is in equilibrium by verifying if the sum of forces in each direction is equal to zero.

What is the center of rotation in a rotational statics problem?

The center of rotation, also known as the pivot point, is the fixed point around which an object is free to rotate. It is the point where the net torque acting on the object is equal to zero, and therefore, the object remains in equilibrium.

What is the significance of solving rotational statics problems?

Solving rotational statics problems is important in various fields of engineering, such as structural, mechanical, and aerospace engineering. It allows engineers to analyze and design structures and machines that can withstand the forces and moments acting on them, ensuring their stability and safety.