Android: Can I Stream RTP/RTCP Video?

In summary, it is possible to stream an RTP/RTCP video stream from an IP camera to an Android device. While not as commonly used, Android devices do have the capability to accept RTCP streams. When selecting a camera, it is important to make sure it supports both RTP and RTCP protocols and you may need to use a third-party app or software for decoding on your device.
xortan
Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place but...

I probably have a stupid question here but is it possible to stream an RTP/RTCP video stream from an IP camera to an Android device? I am not a programmer but am trying to select a camera to use for my current project.

I have done some research and seen that Android is able to accept RTSP and HTTP for video streams but not seeing much info if it will also accept RTCP.

Thanks in advance!

Technology news on Phys.org

Hello,

I can confirm that it is possible to stream an RTP/RTCP video stream from an IP camera to an Android device. RTCP is a control protocol used in conjunction with RTP to provide feedback on the quality of the data transmission. While it is not as commonly used as RTSP and HTTP, Android devices do have the capability to accept RTCP streams.

When selecting a camera for your project, it is important to make sure that it supports both RTP and RTCP protocols. Additionally, you may need to use a third-party app or software to receive and decode the RTP/RTCP stream on your Android device.

I hope this information helps and good luck with your project! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is RTP/RTCP video streaming?

RTP (Real-Time Transport Protocol) and RTCP (Real-Time Control Protocol) are protocols used for streaming audio and video over the internet. RTP is responsible for transmitting the actual media data, while RTCP is used for monitoring and controlling the quality of the streaming.

2. Can I stream RTP/RTCP video on my Android device?

Yes, most Android devices have built-in support for RTP/RTCP video streaming. However, the specific capabilities may vary depending on the device's hardware and software.

3. Do I need a special app to stream RTP/RTCP video on Android?

Some Android devices come with a pre-installed app that allows for RTP/RTCP video streaming, but if your device does not have one, you can download a third-party app from the Google Play Store.

4. Is it possible to stream RTP/RTCP video over a cellular network on Android?

Yes, it is possible to stream RTP/RTCP video over a cellular network on Android. However, it may use a large amount of data, so it is recommended to use a Wi-Fi network for streaming.

5. Can I stream RTP/RTCP video from any source on Android?

No, RTP/RTCP video streaming is only possible from sources that support these protocols. You will need to check with the source or the app you are using to confirm if they support RTP/RTCP streaming.