Rudin Proof of Liouville Theorem (Complex A.)

In summary: R > 0 and if ##|c_n|r^n \leq M## for all n, then the series converges for all x with |x| < r. This means that for any given r, the series will converge for all x such that |x| < r. In other words, r is the maximum value for x at which the series will converge. Therefore, for any r < R, the series will not converge for all x such that |x| > r, which means that ##c_n## must be equal to 0 for all n > 0.
Bachelier
Please see attached.

I am talking about Thm. 10.23 proof.

Why is it that ##c_n## must be equal to ##0, \ \forall n>0## ?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20130420_181509.jpg
    20130420_181509.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that it says FOR ALL r. If I had a [itex] |c_n| > 0 [/itex] for n>0 then I could let [itex] r^{2n}=\frac{M}{|c_n|^2} [/itex] so the n-th term would be equal to M and the sum would be at least as large as M (all the terms are non-negative if I choose r this way so the sum is at least as large as any individual term). This is a contradiction.

Last edited:
HS-Scientist said:
Note that it says FOR ALL r. If I had a [itex] |c_n| > 0 [/itex] for n>0 then I could let [itex] r^{2n}=\frac{M}{|c_n|^2} [/itex] so the n-th term would be equal to M and the sum would be at least as large as M (all the terms are non-negative if I choose r this way so the sum is at least as large as any individual term). This is a contradiction.

Thank you for the answer. Yeah I get it.
It was my misunderstanding of theorem 22 that caused the confusion.
Theorem 22 is a different version of Gauss's Mean Value Thm.

BTW I think you meant to say take:

##r^{2n} = \Large{\frac{M^2}{|c_n|^2}}##

Thm 10.22

Attachments

• Theorem 10.22.JPG
    Theorem 10.22.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 544
for your question. In the proof of the Liouville Theorem, we are considering an entire function f(z) = ∑c_nz^n. By definition, an entire function is a function that is analytic everywhere in the complex plane, which means it has a power series representation that converges for all complex numbers z. In this case, we are considering the series ∑c_nz^n, which is a power series representation of f(z).

Now, in order for a power series to converge for all complex numbers z, there is a necessary condition that the coefficients c_n must satisfy. This condition is known as the Cauchy-Hadamard theorem, which states that the radius of convergence of the power series is given by R = limsup|c_n|^(1/n). In other words, the series will converge for |z| < R.

In the proof of the Liouville Theorem, we are assuming that the function f(z) is bounded, which means that the absolute value of f(z) is less than or equal to some constant M for all complex numbers z. This implies that the power series ∑c_nz^n must also be bounded for all complex numbers z. However, as the radius of convergence R is given by limsup|c_n|^(1/n), this means that for all n > 0, the value of c_n must be equal to 0 in order for the series to converge for all z.

In conclusion, the reason why c_n must be equal to 0 for all n > 0 is because of the necessary condition for the power series to converge for all complex numbers z. This is a crucial step in the proof of the Liouville Theorem, as it allows us to conclude that the function f(z) is a constant function, which is the main result of the theorem.

1. What is the Liouville Theorem in complex analysis?

The Liouville Theorem in complex analysis states that any bounded entire function must be constant. In other words, if a function is defined and continuous on the entire complex plane and its values are bounded, then the function is a constant.

2. What is the significance of the Liouville Theorem?

The Liouville Theorem is significant because it provides a powerful tool for determining if a function is constant. This theorem is also useful in proving other important theorems in complex analysis, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra.

3. What is the proof of the Liouville Theorem?

The proof of the Liouville Theorem, also known as the Rudin Proof, involves using the Cauchy-Riemann equations to show that any bounded entire function must have a derivative of zero. Since the derivative is zero, the function is constant.

4. Can the Liouville Theorem be extended to functions with singularities?

No, the Liouville Theorem only applies to entire functions, which are defined and continuous on the entire complex plane. Functions with singularities, such as poles, are not considered entire and therefore, the Liouville Theorem does not apply to them.

5. What are some applications of the Liouville Theorem?

The Liouville Theorem has various applications in complex analysis, including in the proof of the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, the classification of meromorphic functions, and the study of conformal mappings. It also has applications in other fields, such as in physics and engineering, where complex analysis is used to solve problems.