1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Runner Runs

1. Sep 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a 100 m sprint a runner starts from rest and accelerate to 9.6 m/s [W] in 4.2 s.
    Calculate acceleration, displacement, and if the runner runs at a constant velocity for the rest of the race what is the total time?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am having trouble with the total time. I know acceleration is 2.3 m/s^2 [W] and I know displacement is 20.16 m [W]. However what would the constant velocity be.. Is it 9.6 m/s[w]? And since it states the rest of the race does that mean i have to subtract 20.16 from the 100m?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2016 #2
    So what I did was take 100 subtract 20 to obtain 80. Then I took 80 divided it by 9.6 took that number and added 4.2 seconds to get the total time. The total time is 13s.. Can someone tell me if I did this correctly?

4. Sep 14, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted