What is the formula for calculating electrical potential?

In summary, an alpha particle scatters off of a gold nucleus and the closest distance is determined. The max. force on the alpha particle is determined assuming the gold nucleus remains fixed.
jjson775
Homework Statement
4.00 MeV alpha particles (2 protons, 2 neutrons) scatter off gold nuclei (79 protons, 118 neutrons). If an alpha particle scatters backward at 180 deg., determine a) the distance of the closest approach to the gold nucleus and b) the max. force exerted on the alpha particle assuming the gold nucleus remains fixed throughout.
Relevant Equations
V = Ke q/r
F = Ke q1xq2/r^2
V = Ke x q/r
2x 1.602x10^-19 = 8.99 x 10^9 x (79x1.602x10^-19)/r

Physics news on Phys.org
jjson775 said:
Homework Statement:: 4.00 MeV alpha particles (2 protons, 2 neutrons) scatter off gold nuclei (79 protons, 118 neutrons). If an alpha particle scatters backward at 180 deg., determine a) the distance of the closest approach to the gold nucleus and b) the max. force exerted on the alpha particle assuming the gold nucleus remains fixed throughout.
Relevant Equations:: V = Ke q/r
F = Ke q1xq2/r^2

V = Ke x q/r
Per forum rules, you must post an attempt.

The attempt is to solve for r as shown. It is clearly wrong

jjson775 said:
V = Ke x q/r
Can you explain what the above two equations mean? If the second equation follows from the first, then you are asserting that the electrostatic potential at r is equal to twice the electron charge. That's not even dimensionally correct. You need to rethink your strategy and consider using the fact that the alpha particle has energy 4 MeV.

The second equation does not follow from the 1st. If I can find r, it will give me the answer to part (b. I have no idea how to find r, the closest distance to the nucleus. In the attempt, I tried to equate the electrical forces between the particles. No luck. I don't see the relevance of the alpha particle energy. Should I be looking at conservation of energy or momentum?

You should be looking at mechanical energy conservation. Assume that the alpha particle has 4.00 MeV of kinetic energy when it is infinitely far from the nucleus. What happens to that kinetic energy when it is as close to the nucleus as it will ever get?

Momentum is not conserved because the gold nuclei are not allowed to move.

Got it. For some reason it wasn't clear to me that 4.00 MeV is the kinetic energy of the alpha particles. I also found the correct formula for the electrical potential of the 2 charges. Thanks.

1. What is Rutherford scattering?

Rutherford scattering is a phenomenon in which alpha particles, which are positively charged particles, are scattered by a thin gold foil. This experiment was conducted by Ernest Rutherford in 1911 and led to the discovery of the atomic nucleus.

2. How does Rutherford scattering work?

Rutherford scattering occurs when alpha particles are fired at a thin gold foil. Most of the alpha particles pass straight through the foil, but some are deflected at large angles. This is because the positive charge of the alpha particles is repelled by the positive charge of the gold atoms in the foil.

3. What does Rutherford scattering tell us about the structure of an atom?

Rutherford scattering showed that atoms have a small, dense, positively charged nucleus at the center, surrounded by mostly empty space. This was a significant discovery as it contradicted the previously accepted "plum pudding" model of the atom.

4. Why is Rutherford scattering important in the field of nuclear physics?

Rutherford scattering was a crucial experiment in the development of nuclear physics. It provided evidence for the existence of the atomic nucleus and led to further studies on the structure and properties of the nucleus. It also paved the way for the discovery of other subatomic particles.

5. How is Rutherford scattering used in practical applications?

Rutherford scattering is used in a variety of practical applications, including in medical imaging techniques such as PET scans and in particle accelerators. It is also used in the development of nuclear energy and in the study of nuclear reactions and radiation.