Understanding S-Wave and P-Wave Annihilation

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of s-wave and p-wave annihilation and their connection to spectroscopic notation. The question is asked about the parity-violating and parity-conserving contributions to hyperon radiative decays. It is suggested that the reason for not being able to solve the problem may be due to not knowing the intrinsic parity of hadrons.
fliptomato
Greetings--what is meant by "s-wave" or "p-wave" annihilation? I've been trying to figure out what this refers to by looking through the standard QM and QFT texts, but I keep missing this. Does anyone have a handy reference I can look up?

Thanks,
Flip

Physics news on Phys.org
fliptomato said:
Greetings--what is meant by "s-wave" or "p-wave" annihilation? I've been trying to figure out what this refers to by looking through the standard QM and QFT texts, but I keep missing this. Does anyone have a handy reference I can look up?

Thanks,
Flip
s-wave and p-wave refer to the orbital angular momentum of the initial state.
The notation is related to early spectroscopic notation, with the connection:

Spectral line type
s wave L=0 Sharp
p wave L=1 Principal
d wave L=2 Diffuse
f wave L=3 Fine
and so on.

Oldtimers remember that it came from the appearance of spectral lines.

Hi there, I have a more interesting question about s and p-wave amplitudes.

Why the s-wave contribution to hyperon radiative decays is parity violating and the p-wave contribution is parity conserving?

Not sure I can get an answer here but at least I tried :p.

zelrik said:
Not sure I can get an answer here but at least I tried :p.
Indeed, I do not think this is where you should ask your question.

It seems the reason you cannot solve your problem is because you do not know the parity assignment following the knowledge of the spin of a hadron in its ground state. We can calculate this parity because we know (or assume, since it has been safe so far) that strong interactions respect parity, and hadrons are bound by the strong interaction. Please note that, the reason those hyperon decay are interesting is because they are not purely strong (we say semi-leptonic) and violate CP (the P violation in their decay is not the same in charge conjugate channels). If you do not know the intrinsic parity of hadrons, please open a separate thread (or search in older threads).

If you know the intrinsic parity of hadrons, the above information provided by Meir Achuz should suffice to solve your question.

What are S-waves and P-waves?

S-waves and P-waves are types of seismic waves that are created by earthquakes or other sources of energy within the Earth's crust. S-waves, or shear waves, move in a side-to-side motion and are slower than P-waves. P-waves, or primary waves, move in a back-and-forth motion and are faster than S-waves.

How do S-waves and P-waves annihilate each other?

When S-waves and P-waves meet, they can cancel each other out through a process called annihilation. This occurs when the two waves have equal amplitudes and opposite directions of motion. The energy of the waves is then dissipated as heat.

What is the significance of understanding S-wave and P-wave annihilation?

Understanding S-wave and P-wave annihilation is important in seismology and earthquake studies. It helps us to better understand the behavior of seismic waves and how they interact with each other. This knowledge can also aid in predicting the potential damage and impact of earthquakes.

Can S-waves and P-waves be created artificially?

Yes, S-waves and P-waves can be artificially created through controlled explosions or other sources of energy. This allows scientists to study the properties and behaviors of these waves in a controlled environment.

Are there any other types of wave annihilation besides S-wave and P-wave annihilation?

Yes, there are other types of wave annihilation, such as transverse and longitudinal wave annihilation. These occur when two waves with opposite polarizations meet and cancel each other out. Wave annihilation is a common occurrence in physics and is seen in various types of waves, not just in seismic waves.