Safety of electric power steering

In summary: There is a backup linkage between the ball nut and the steering pinion so that the nut doesn't lock up the rack if the power goes out.
KarlH
Does anyone know if there's a backup linkage between the ball nut and the steering pinion so that the nut doesn't lock up the rack if the power goes out?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
KarlH said:
Does anyone know if there's a backup linkage between the ball nut and the steering pinion so that the nut doesn't lock up the rack if the power goes out?

Thanks.
Did you have a particular brand in mind?

According to this article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ering-a-comprehensive-comparison-test-feature

there are still mixed feelings about EPS out there, including one scary comment which suggests that the EPS system locks the steering when the electric motor fails, unlike with a hydraulic system, where the car can still be steered, albeit with more effort applied to the steering wheel.

IDK if this could be the Takata air bag fiasco or the GM steering/ignition lock fiasco of the future.

Likes KarlH
SteamKing said:
Did you have a particular brand in mind?

No specific brand. I did see that BMW uses a ball screw, while some other manufacturers use a worm gear on the steering column. The lock-up behavior should be roughly the same for both.

According to this article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ering-a-comprehensive-comparison-test-feature

there are still mixed feelings about EPS out there, including one scary comment which suggests that the EPS system locks the steering when the electric motor fails, unlike with a hydraulic system, where the car can still be steered, albeit with more effort applied to the steering wheel.

IDK if this could be the Takata air bag fiasco or the GM steering/ignition lock fiasco of the future.

I hope not, but that's why I posted.

My advice is, you want to let someone else be the guinea pig to work out the bugs with any radical, new automotive technology.

I have a 2003 Saturn Ion with electric power steering. At about 120,000 miles, the power steering went out but it was still drivable. It was just more difficult to turn. However, I'd say it was less difficult than some of the older, hydraulic power steering vehicles I've driven where the power went out. The power steering came back on after I turned the car off and re-started the car and it seemed fine for a while. Every once in a while it would lose power steering so I'd just continue on and it would work again the next time I drove it. At around the same time, GM decided to warrenty the power steering for the life of the car so I had it repaired for free.

Likes KarlH
electric_steering_cobalt.gif

I replaced a defective rack and pinion recently in an electric assisted system mounted to the steering column inside the car, and with the ignition off it had no assist but was not very difficult to turn sitting still on smooth cement or blacktop. The mechanical advantage of the pinion ratio makes the tires easier to turn but then you have to turn the steering wheel further to make the tires turn a given amount compared to many hydraulic units which provide a greater assist to a higher ratio pinion, and are therefore much harder to turn without the assist.

Likes KarlH
Good to hear. So then I assume that there must be a safety release or backup linkage somewhere.

Thanks!

What is electric power steering?

Electric power steering is a system in cars that uses an electric motor to assist with steering instead of a traditional hydraulic system. It works by sensing the driver's steering input and providing the appropriate amount of assistance through the motor.

Is electric power steering safe?

Yes, electric power steering is generally considered safe. In fact, it has many safety advantages over traditional hydraulic steering, such as improved control and stability in emergency situations. However, like any system in a car, proper maintenance and regular checks are important for ensuring safety.

What are the potential risks associated with electric power steering?

The main risk associated with electric power steering is the potential for the motor or sensors to fail, leading to a loss of steering assistance. This can be mitigated by regular maintenance and checks, as well as redundant systems in some vehicles.

Are there any safety regulations for electric power steering?

Yes, electric power steering systems must adhere to safety regulations set by government agencies such as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the United States. These regulations ensure that the system is designed and manufactured to meet certain safety standards.

How can I ensure the safety of my electric power steering system?

To ensure the safety of your electric power steering system, it is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and regularly check for any warning signs of potential issues, such as unusual noises or difficulty steering. It's also important to have any necessary repairs or replacements done by a qualified mechanic.