Sample spaces having equally likely outcomes

• Thread starter blob84
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the probability of an event A, where there are k heads after flipping a coin n times. The number of elements in A can be found using the formula $\binom{n}{k}$, but for n=3 and k=2, there are only four possible outcomes. It is important to note that for k=2, there must be exactly 2 heads, and the number of possible outcomes is 3.
blob84
If we flip a coin n-times,
what is the probability of the event $$A= \left \{there \space are \space k \space head \right \}$$.
I should find the number of elements of A,
the book says that is $$\binom{n}{k}$$ but for $$n=3$$ and $$k=2$$, all the possible outcomes are:
$$A= \left \{(h, h,h), (h, h, x), (h, x, h), (x, h, h) \right \}$$, where the position of h or x is the k-flip.
How to find this number?

PS. h is head.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi blob84! :smile:

i'm sorry, i don't understand this at all :redface:

your example seems to be k = 3, not n = 3, and i don't understand what those four outcomes are :confused:

can you explain again?​

k is the number of the head in A, int the example k = 2, any vector of A has at least two head.
you flip a coin n-times, so if n = 3 you flip the coin 3 times, the problem is to count the number of vectors in A.

PS. h is head.

Last edited:
blob84 said:
int the example k = 2, any vector of A has at least two head.

ah, now i see what you meant :smile:

no, if k = 2, there must be exactly 2 heads

so the possible outcomes are

1: xxx k = 0 (0 heads)

3: xxh xhx hxx k = 1 (1 head)

3: xhh hxh hhx k = 2 (2 heads)

1: hhh k = 3 (3 heads)​

yes only 2 head, oh my god!
Thanks.

What is a sample space?

A sample space is a set of all possible outcomes of an experiment or event. It is denoted by the symbol S and can be represented using a list, table, or tree diagram.

What are equally likely outcomes?

Equally likely outcomes refer to a situation where each outcome in a sample space has an equal chance of occurring. This means that the probability of each outcome is the same.

Why is it important for sample spaces to have equally likely outcomes?

Having equally likely outcomes ensures that the probability of each outcome is fair and unbiased. This is important in conducting experiments and making predictions based on the results.

Can a sample space have an infinite number of equally likely outcomes?

Yes, a sample space can have an infinite number of equally likely outcomes. For example, the sample space of rolling a dice has six equally likely outcomes, while the sample space of flipping a coin has two equally likely outcomes.

How can you determine the probability of an event with equally likely outcomes?

The probability of an event with equally likely outcomes can be determined by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can also be expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.