Transfer Samsung TV Recordings to Computer

• Thread starter Sobi
  • Start date
In summary, while it is possible to copy recorded TV programs from a USB disk to a computer, there may be issues with the file system being changed to ext2 or ext4, making it difficult for Windows to read. Additionally, the TV may have encryption and DRM protection, making the recordings unreadable even if they are copied to a computer. It may be necessary to use a live Linux distro and install a package for XFS support to access the contents of the USB drive.
Sobi
How can I send recorded tv programs which have been saved into a usb disk to computer

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't think you can. Windows can't read the file system. If you find software that can read the file system, you can copy the file to the computer, but you would still have to deal with encryption, DRM, and possibly other problems. (I knew about the file system issue, so I googled and found the claims about encryption and DRM here).

Samsung smart TVs are running android, it's possible that the file system on the USB flash drive may have been changed to ext2 or ext4 in which case, you will have issues reading it on windows.
But most USB sticks are formatted to FAT32 out of the box. They should be readable in windows. I cannot see a good reason why the TV would format a USB flash drive to ext.

What do you see when you plug the USB drive into your computer?

Routaran said:
Samsung smart TVs are running android, it's possible that the file system on the USB flash drive may have been changed to ext2 or ext4 in which case, you will have issues reading it on windows.
But most USB sticks are formatted to FAT32 out of the box. They should be readable in windows. I cannot see a good reason why the TV would format a USB flash drive to ext.

What do you see when you plug the USB drive into your computer?
According to Wikipedia, they're running a Linux distribution called Tizen OS. And according to the article I linked to in my previous post, the file system is XFS.

It's been a couple of years since I last tried recording to a USB drive, but I think the TV demanded that I let it format the drive before I record anything on it. Windows couldn't read anything off the drive after I had made the recording. I don't remember what happened when I plugged the USB drive into my computer, but I would guess that Windows just asked if I wanted to format the drive, since it couldn't read anything off it.

I don't know why they have chosen to do this. Maybe to make it more difficult to convert TV shows to a nice format and upload them to a torrent site?

The TV has no problems reading a drive formatted for FAT32 or NTFS.

Then I guess it's time to download a live Linux distro, boot that up and see if there's anything on the flash drive.
Probably have to install a package for xfs support and then try to see if there's anything on that drive.

Routaran said:
Then I guess it's time to download a live Linux distro, boot that up and see if there's anything on the flash drive.
Probably have to install a package for xfs support and then try to see if there's anything on that drive.
From the article I linked to in my first post:

Windows can read the contents of the drive with suitable software, but that wouldn’t solve the problem. Even if you could copy the recordings to your PC they would still be unreadable as they are encrypted. Whilst decryption is theoretically possible, they are further protected for Digital Rights Management (DRM) purposes.​

Should have probably read that DRM link before posting lol

What are the steps to transfer Samsung TV recordings to a computer?

To transfer Samsung TV recordings to a computer, you will need a USB cable, a USB storage device, and a computer. Follow these steps:

1. Connect the USB storage device to your Samsung TV.
  2. Locate the recordings you want to transfer and save them to the USB storage device.
  3. Turn off your Samsung TV and remove the USB storage device.
  4. Connect the USB storage device to your computer using the USB cable.
  5. Open the USB storage device on your computer and locate the recordings.
  6. Copy the recordings to a folder on your computer.

What format are Samsung TV recordings saved in?

Samsung TV recordings are saved in the TS (Transport Stream) format. This is a digital container format used for storing and transmitting video and audio data. It is a standard format for digital broadcasting and is compatible with most media players and devices.

Can I transfer Samsung TV recordings to a Mac computer?

Yes, you can transfer Samsung TV recordings to a Mac computer by following the same steps as transferring to a PC. However, Mac computers may not be able to play TS format files natively. You may need to use a third-party media player or convert the files to a compatible format.

How can I play Samsung TV recordings on my computer?

You can play Samsung TV recordings on your computer by using a media player that supports the TS format. Some popular media players include VLC, Windows Media Player, and QuickTime. If your computer does not support the TS format, you may need to convert the recordings to a different format using a video converter software.

Can I transfer Samsung TV recordings to an external hard drive?

Yes, you can transfer Samsung TV recordings to an external hard drive by following the same steps as transferring to a USB storage device. Make sure the external hard drive is formatted to a compatible file system, such as NTFS or exFAT, to ensure the recordings can be transferred and played properly.