Sand drops on conveyor belt

In summary: The work done by the external force each second is the same as the kinetic energy acquired by the falling sand each second due to the change in its horizontal motion.
dkgojackets

Homework Statement

5 part question here. "Sand from a stationary hopper falls on a moving conveyor belt at a rate of 5.81 kg/s. The belt is supported by frictionless rollers and moves at .645 m/s under the action of a horizontal external force supplied by the motor that drives the belt."

1. Find the sand's rate of change of momentum in the horizontal direction (answer in units of N)

2. Find the frictional force exerted by the belt on the sand (in units N)

3. Find the magnitude of the external force supplied by the motor

4. Find the work done by the external force each second

5. Find the kinetic energy acquired by the falling sand each second due to the change in its horizontal motion.

Homework Equations

I know I have to derivate momentum with respect to time, use conservation of momentum, and force equations. Work-energy theorm seems to be needed too.

The Attempt at a Solution

For one, would I just multiply the velocity of the sand on the belt by the changing mass? I would get v(dm/dt), which is a dP/dt. Seems too easy. I'm not quite sure how to get frictional force without the coefficient. It is acting against the external force in the positive horizontal direction on my free-body diagram, but I can't figure out how to solve it. I'm pretty lost on the next two, and especiallt the last one. There is no change in horizontal motion until the sand hits the belt, so why would it acquire KE while falling from it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right idea -- just use the change in horizontal velocity and mass to give you all the answers. Assume that the sand does not fall very far, so its vertical motion does not enter into the calculations.

I have one and five. I am not sure how to calculate the force of friction without the coefficient. I am guessing the magnitude of the external force would equal that since the sand is not accelerating on the conveyor?

Thank you, very helpful. I also needed the one with the rocket expelling fuel.

The only part I have left is 2, the frictional force exerted by the belt.

still need help on frictional force please

dkgojackets said:
still need help on frictional force please

I think you must already have it. The only force on the sand is frictional force. The sand doesn't have to be slipping for you to consider the force's origin to be from friction.

Yeah I got it. The first three parts of the question were the same value.

Why is the work done twice the gain in KE of the sand

What is a conveyor belt?

A conveyor belt is a mechanical system used for transporting materials from one location to another. It typically consists of a continuous loop of fabric or rubber that moves along a series of rollers, allowing for the smooth transfer of goods or materials.

How does a conveyor belt work?

The conveyor belt works by using a motor to drive the belt, which in turn moves along the rollers. The movement of the belt creates a continuous loop, allowing for items to be transported from one end to the other.

What is the purpose of sand drops on a conveyor belt?

The purpose of sand drops on a conveyor belt is typically for manufacturing or production purposes. The sand is dropped onto the conveyor belt and then transported to a specific location for further processing or packaging.

What are the benefits of using a conveyor belt for sand drops?

Using a conveyor belt for sand drops can provide several benefits, including increased efficiency, reduced labor costs, and improved safety. It also allows for a continuous and consistent flow of materials, reducing the risk of human error or delays.

What are some common issues or challenges with sand drops on a conveyor belt?

Some common issues or challenges with sand drops on a conveyor belt may include belt slippage, material spillage, and equipment maintenance. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain the conveyor belt to ensure smooth and efficient operation.