1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SAT Maths

Tags:
  1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone, I'm currently in high school and will be applying to universities this summer. I recently took my SATs and, although I did pretty well on the english sections (Writing=650 and Reading=600), I was extremely disappointed by my maths score (640). Now I'm not generally weak in maths (I have a 91% in Calculus) but for some reason I seem to make the silliest of mistakes in SAT math. SO my question is : Is there anything I can do to improve my maths score? And if so what should I do to improve?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2
    I was disappointed with my math score the first time I took it too. I bought a book of practice tests and took 4 or 5 of them. My math score improved 100 points.

4. Jan 12, 2012 #3
    The thing is about SAT Math, is that there are people who get 5s on AP Calculus tests but bomb the SAT Math. The reason is a lot of it is less about whether you know the stuff (which you do have to) and more about test-taking strategies. With this in mind, I would also recommend looking at Practice books, they can definitely help.

5. Jan 12, 2012 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I took it last in 1959 or so but the same principles probably apply now. It is a timed test, and a short answer test, so practice helps. I was on the math team at my school and we practiced for those contests by taking lots of standardized tests and timing ourselves.

I took the SAT once and got over 795/800. (I recall it as 797, but I am told that is not now a possible score.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook