Satellite Control System With Rate Feedback

In summary, a satellite control system with rate feedback is a type of control system used to maintain the orientation and stability of a satellite in space. It utilizes rate feedback, where the system continuously measures the rotation rates of the satellite and adjusts its thrusters accordingly to maintain the desired orientation. This system is crucial for maintaining the proper functioning of a satellite and ensuring its accuracy in tasks such as communication and observation.
jj007
I'm trying to get the transfer function of this rigid control system that uses rate feedback to stabilize it. Using k=1 and kv=0
Capture_zps6fbe8d62.png

Attempt at a solution.
When kv=0, the rate feedback is removed.
In the block diagram, I moved the pickoff point and used the cascade rule to get [tex] 1/s^2 [/tex]
and the transfer function for the top portion is [tex] H(s)=\frac{(1/s^2)k}{1+(1/s^2)k}=\frac{k}{s^2((k/s^2)+1)}[/tex]
With the pickoff point moved you get [tex]\frac{1}{1/s}[/tex] at the bottom next to kv.
This is where I'm stuck. How do I get the complete transfer function? I would like to put it in matlab.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like something you probably should have posted in the Homework section, just FYI.

What transfer function is it you want? Is it θ(s)/θ_r(s)?

milesyoung said:
This looks like something you probably should have posted in the Homework section, just FYI.

What transfer function is it you want? Is it θ(s)/θ_r(s)?

Yes please.

(thread moved to HH)

For K = 1, K_v = 0, you have a double integrator, 1/s^2, in a unity feedback configuration and the transfer function you posted, H(s), is the closed-loop transfer function θ(s)/θ_r(s) for this system.

In case you're looking for θ(s)/θ_r(s) with K, K_v only known to be real, you could apply block simplification for the inner loop first, then the outer one using the rule for negative feedback loops. You already used this rule once in finding H(s).

That's the only thing I'm not sure of...the block simplification. There's so many rules and I don't know which ones to apply here.

This was the first link on Google for 'block simplification':
http://www.msubbu.in/sp/ctrl/BD-Rules.htm

Have a look at rule 1, 2 and 6. Try simplifying your block diagram to a single system using those rules and post here if you get stuck.

Split up the summing junction and simplify the series inside the inner loop, rule 1 & 2:

sys1.jpg

Simplify the inner negative feedback loop, rule 6:

sys2.jpg

Do you understand those steps? How would you proceed?

milesyoung said:
Split up the summing junction and simplify the series inside the inner loop, rule 1 & 2:

sys1.jpg

Simplify the inner negative feedback loop, rule 6:

sys2.jpg

Do you understand those steps? How would you proceed?

Understood. Proceed by using rule 2 again and that's it? Looks like I was over complicating things.

Thanks

Rule 2 to simplify the series inside the loop, but what about the loop itself?

milesyoung said:
Rule 2 to simplify the series inside the loop, but what about the loop itself?

The output [itex]\theta[/itex] goes back into junction, which gives a transfer function of 1?
We're looking for [itex]\frac{θ(s)}{θ_r(s)}[/itex] right?

We want to simplify the block diagram so it looks like:

θ_r -> box -> θ

and nothing else. No loops!

Have a look at the step I did using rule 6. Doesn't that look like something you could do again?

Y=[itex]\frac{G1}{1+G1(1)}[/itex]= [itex]\frac{K}{s^2+s*K*K_v+K}[/itex]?

Yes :smile:

Ok. Last Question. For K=1 and K_v=0, how do I use this transfer function in MATLAB to get the Root Locus or Bode plot?

jj007 said:
Ok. Last Question. For K=1 and K_v=0, how do I use this transfer function in MATLAB to get the Root Locus or Bode plot?

If you have the Control System Toolbox you could use its suite of commands, e.g.:
tf
bode
rlocus

and so on. Have a look at their help pages and that of the toolbox itself.

If you don't have it, you could make your own functions to evaluate the transfer function for whatever range of parameters you're interested in and plot the results.

There is an rlocus function in MATLAB that will plot the root locus plot of a given transfer function.

What is a satellite control system with rate feedback?

A satellite control system with rate feedback is a system used to control the orientation and movement of a satellite in space. It uses rate feedback, which is a mechanism that measures the differences between the desired and actual rates of rotation and uses that information to make adjustments to the satellite's thrusters.

How does a satellite control system with rate feedback work?

The system works by using sensors to measure the satellite's orientation and rate of rotation. This data is then compared to the desired orientation and rotation rates, and any differences are fed into a controller. The controller then sends signals to the satellite's thrusters to make adjustments, keeping the satellite on its intended trajectory.

What are the advantages of using a satellite control system with rate feedback?

One advantage is that it allows for precise control of a satellite's orientation and movement, which is crucial for tasks such as maintaining communication with Earth or properly aligning instruments for scientific observations. Additionally, rate feedback allows for real-time adjustments, making the system more responsive to changes in the satellite's environment.

What are the potential issues with a satellite control system with rate feedback?

One potential issue is the complexity of the system, which requires advanced sensors, controllers, and thrusters. This can make the system more expensive and difficult to maintain. Additionally, malfunctions in any of the components could lead to errors in the satellite's orientation and movement.

How is a satellite control system with rate feedback used in space missions?

This type of control system is used in various space missions, including communication and navigation satellites, Earth observation satellites, and scientific missions. It allows for precise control of the satellite's orientation and movement, ensuring that it can fulfill its intended purpose in space.