Satellite Motion - This doesnt seem right

In summary, the question asked for the distance of a 1kg/10N weight from the Earth's surface when it weighs 5N. The error in the initial solution was using the weight's mass instead of the Earth's mass in the formula. The correct solution involves dividing the weight's weight by the weight at the Earth's surface and taking the square root of the resulting ratio. This gives the distance from the center of the Earth to the object, so the Earth's radius must be subtracted to get the distance from the surface. The final answer is 2.55 x 10^6 meters.
TheKovac
Satellite Motion / Universal Gravitation - This doesn't seem right...

Homework Statement

How far is a 1Kg / 10N wieght, from the Earth's surface, when it is 5N?

Homework Equations

g= GM/r^2
W=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

=> W=mg
=> 5=1g
g = 5

g= GM/r^2
=>5 = (6.67*10^-11)(1)/r^2

=> r= 3.56 x 10^-6 ?

Could someone please assist me on where did I go wrong, because I don't think I missed any important details.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can tell, I think the problem is that you used the wrong mass in the formula
[tex] \mbox{g}=\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]
You used the mass of the weight, but it should be the mass of the earth, which is approximately [tex]5.977\times10^{24} \mbox{ kg}[/tex]. The equation should be as follows:
[tex] 5 = \frac{(6.67\times10^{-11})(5.977\times10^{24})}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex] r = \sqrt{\frac{(6.67\times10^{-11})(5.977\times10^{24})}{5}} [/tex]

[tex] r = 8.93\times10^6 m [/tex]

Does that agree with the answer you have been given?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

You helped me solve this issue. Can you believe I made such a small mistake - Ridiculous!

I really do appreciate your help.

I think I need to think and take more care with my work! :)

Kindest Regards,
TheKovac

You also need to be careful about what r represents. In your formula, r is the distance from the center of the earth. The problem asks for the distance from the earth's surface.

You don't actually need to do all that calculation. You know that the object weighs 10 N at the Earth's surface: GM/R^2= 10. You are looking for r such that GM/r^2= 5. Dividing the first equation by the second, r^2/R^2= 2 so r= [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] R.

Again, that r is distance from the center of earth. Since R is the radius of the earth, the distance from the surface of the earth is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]R- R= ([itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]- 1)R.

My apologies, HallsofIvy is absolutely right. The answer I gave you was incomplete.

The formula calculated the distance from the centre of the Earth to the object, however the question asks for the distance from the surface of the Earth to the object. This means we must subtract the Earth's radius from the answer we calculated, as this will give the distance from the centre of the earth.

[tex] r_{surface} = r - r_{earth} [/tex]
[tex] r_{surface} = (8.93\times10^6)-(6.38\times10^6)[/tex]

Object is [tex] 2.55\times10^6[/tex] metres away from the Earth's surface. Does that make sense?

1. What is satellite motion?

Satellite motion refers to the movement of a man-made object in orbit around a planet or other celestial body.

2. How do satellites stay in orbit?

Satellites stay in orbit due to a balance between the centrifugal force pulling the satellite away from the planet and the gravitational force pulling the satellite towards the planet. This balance is known as orbital velocity.

3. How fast do satellites travel?

The speed of a satellite depends on its distance from the planet it is orbiting. On average, satellites in low Earth orbit travel at speeds of about 17,000 miles per hour.

4. Can satellites change direction or speed?

Satellites can change direction and speed by using thrusters or other propulsion systems. These adjustments are necessary to maintain a stable orbit and to avoid collisions with other objects in space.

5. How does satellite motion affect Earth?

Satellite motion has a range of impacts on Earth, from providing essential communications and navigation services to monitoring weather patterns and tracking natural disasters. Satellites also play a key role in scientific research and exploration of our planet and the universe.