1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satellite Orbit Problem what am I doing wrong?

1. Apr 5, 2010 #1
    I have a satellite orbit problem I'm not quite understanding...any help would be appreciated.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose a spacecraft orbits the moon in a very low, circular orbit, just a few hundred meters above the lunar surface. The moon has a diameter of 3500 km, and the free-fall acceleration at the surface is 1.60 m/s^2.

2. Relevant equations

1. How fast is this spacecraft moving?

3. The attempt at a solution

To find the speed, I used the equation v= square root of (G X M/R), with M being the mass of the moon (I had to look that up) and G being the gravitational constant.

v= square root of (6.674E-11)(7.36E22/1750)=52980.125=>52.9 m/s

The answer I got was an available option under the answer choices; however, I got it wrong. I can't figure out another way to come up with the velocity.

I also tried using the equation mg=mv^2/R; however, I got the same number as before.
    m's cancel;
    g=v^2/R
    v= square root of g*R
    Acceleration = g in freefall
    V = square root of 1.60*1750km=>52.9 m/s

Both of these answers are incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2010 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Watch your units! Kilometers and meters are not the same.

4. Apr 5, 2010 #3
    Didn't I convert between them? For the first equation I used, 52980.125 is in kilometers, then I moved the decimals 3 places over to convert to meters.

5. Apr 5, 2010 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it is not. It is in goofy units. G is not just a number, and you used it is such. It has units. You used G=6.674E-11, more correctly, G=6.674×10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook