How High Must a Satellite Orbit to Maintain Specific Gravitational Strength?

In summary, the conversation discussed the design of a satellite to orbit Earth at a specific altitude to maintain a gravitational field strength. The distance above the Earth's surface was calculated using the force of gravity equation and subtracting the Earth's radius. The speed of the satellite was also calculated using the formula for circular orbit. Help was requested for determining the acceleration and direction, which can be found using Newton's second law.
the_morbidus

Homework Statement

physics29.jpg

A satellite is designed to orbit Earth at an altitude above its surface that will place it in a gravitational field with a strength of 4.5 N/kg.

a) Calculate the distance above the surface of Earth at which the satellite must orbit.

b)Assuming the orbit is circular, calculate the acceleration of the satellite and its direction.

c)At what speed must the satellite travel in order to maintain this orbit?

Given values in the book:
mass of Earth : 5.98 x 10^24 kg
radius of the Earth : 6.38 x 10^6 m
g : 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2

Homework Equations

Fg= G mE / r^2

ac=v^2/r

v= sqrt ( GmE/r )

ac= 4Pi^2 r / T^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) So we have to find the distance of the satellite above the surface of the Earth and for that we will find its distance from the centre of the Earth and then subtract it from the Earth's radius to obtain the final result.

Fg= GmE/r^2
4.5=(6.67x10^-11)(5.98x10^24) / r^2
r^2= 3.98866x10^14 / 4.5
r= sqrt (8.8637x10^13)
r=9.4x10^6 m

r surface = r total - r earth
r surface = 9.4x10^6 - 6.38x10^6
r surface = 3.02x10^6 m

The satellite must orbit at 3.02x10^6 m from the surface of the earth.

b)
This is the one i don't get it althought I'm not sure which one the centripetal acceleration formulas to use, i have no idea how to figure out its direction, please help !

c)

v= sqrt (GmE / r)
v=sqrt ( (6.67x10^-11)(5.98x10^24)/3.02x10^6)
v=sqrt (3.98866x10^14/3.02x10^6)
v=sqrt (1.32x10^8)
v=11489.16 m/s

The satellite must travel at 11489.16 m/s in order to maintain its orbit.

again if possible to help me with question b) and perhaps review my work for questions a) and c) , thank you everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
The principles of a and c are right, so as long as you did the numbers okay, those looks good.

For part b), try using Newton's second law since you don't know the period. :)

1. What is a satellite?

A satellite is an object that orbits around a larger object in space. In the context of Earth, satellites are man-made objects that are launched into space to perform various functions such as communication, navigation, and scientific research.

2. How do satellites stay in orbit around the Earth?

Satellites stay in orbit around the Earth due to the balance between the gravitational pull of the Earth and the satellite's forward motion. This is known as the centripetal force. The satellite's velocity and distance from the Earth's surface determine its orbit.

3. How many satellites are currently orbiting the Earth?

As of 2021, there are over 2,000 active satellites orbiting the Earth. However, there are also thousands of inactive satellites and debris in orbit as well.

4. How long do satellites typically remain in orbit?

The lifespan of a satellite varies depending on its design and purpose. Some satellites can last for decades, while others have a shorter lifespan of a few years. Eventually, all satellites will either burn up in Earth's atmosphere or be intentionally deorbited.

5. Can satellites collide with each other in orbit?

Yes, satellite collisions can occur in orbit. In fact, it has happened before, resulting in the formation of debris that can pose a threat to other satellites. To prevent collisions, scientists and engineers constantly monitor and track satellites in orbit and make adjustments to their trajectories if necessary.