Why is a satellite's orbit period independent of its mass?

In summary, the period of a satellite's orbit is independent of its mass. This is because the mass of the satellite and the combined mass of both bodies determine the orbital period (and the distance between them).
cyberdiver
Why is the period of a satellite's orbit independent of its mass? I understand that its mass cancels out mathematically, but I don't understand it intuitively. The way I'm seeing this, if a satellite has a greater mass, it would have a greater pull on the body it is orbiting, and hence would require a greater orbital velocity to counter centripetal force.

I find it difficult to comprehend that an asteroid and a neutron star would orbit a planet with the same period, especially as it would be more accurate to say that the planet would be orbiting the neutron star.

Physics news on Phys.org
The way you are seeing it is correct. Mass does affect orbital period. But it's not just the mass of the satellite, it's the combined mass of both bodies that determine the orbital period (and the distance between them). So if you're talking about a man made satellite in Earth orbit, then doubling the mass of the satellite alone isn't going to make any noticeable difference in the combined mass of the satellite and the Earth together. So there would be no detectable difference in the satellite's orbit. But if you doubled the mass of the moon, now that would make a noticeable difference in the orbital period. Does that help you understand it intuitively? By the way there is another thread about this subject: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/orbital-velocity.836915/

I just looked through the thread. Why does the equation only take into account the mass of the primary body if it is affected by both the primary and the satellite masses?

cyberdiver said:
... if a satellite has a greater mass, it would have a greater pull on the body it is orbiting, and hence would require a greater orbital velocity to counter centripetal force.
That greater mass also means it takes a greater force to get it moving at the same speed.

cyberdiver said:
I just looked through the thread. Why does the equation only take into account the mass of the primary body if it is affected by both the primary and the satellite masses?
That's because the equation you are talking about is assuming that the primary body is much more massive than the sattellite. The equation you are looking for is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_period#Two_bodies_orbiting_each_other

cyberdiver said:
Because usually you are considering a secondary body that has a negligible mass compared to the primary body.
It is effectively zero.

[EDIT] Boy, for a turtle, you sure are fleet-of-finger. :wink:

The equations I was taught in class are completely different. I will need to investigate this more thoroughly.

cyberdiver said:
The equations I was taught in class are completely different. I will need to investigate this more thoroughly.
Well, the equation I linked to is the most accurate. But it's really unnecessary when the satellite is not a planetary body.

DaveC426913 said:
[EDIT] Boy, for a turtle, you sure are fleet-of-finger. :wink:
Well, that was very uncharacteristic of me. I think I've had too much caffeine.

What is a satellite?

A satellite is an object that orbits around a larger object, such as a planet or a moon. Satellites can be natural, like the moon, or man-made, like communication and weather satellites.

What is the period of a satellite?

The period of a satellite is the time it takes for the satellite to complete one full orbit around the object it is orbiting. This is measured in minutes, hours, or days depending on the size and speed of the satellite.

How is the period of a satellite calculated?

The period of a satellite can be calculated using Kepler's third law, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit. This means that the period can be calculated by knowing the distance between the satellite and the object it is orbiting and the mass of the object.

What factors affect the period of a satellite?

The period of a satellite is affected by the mass of the object it is orbiting and the distance between the satellite and the object. Other factors that can affect the period include the shape and size of the orbit, as well as any external forces, such as gravitational pulls from other objects.

How does the mass of a satellite affect its orbit and period?

The mass of a satellite does not affect its orbit or period. The period of a satellite is only affected by the mass of the object it is orbiting. However, the mass of a satellite can affect its ability to stay in orbit, with larger satellites requiring more energy to maintain their orbit.