Satellite Problems: Find Velocity of Satellite 3600km Above Earth

• Thread starter scoles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellite
In summary, we discussed finding the velocity of a satellite 3600 km above Earth using the equation v= square root of (g)(Mearth/R). However, it is important to note that the radius of the Earth must be added to the altitude in this equation. We also clarified that both the equations for Force Centripital and Force of Gravity can be used to find the force between the Earth and the satellite, as they are equal.
scoles
We just started the chapter on circular motion. I am trying to find the velocity of a satellite 3600 km above earth. I came up with v= square root of (g)(Mearth/R). Is this correct? I tried V= 2(pie)R/T, but that didn't give me the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct. Keep in mind that you need the radius in that equation, not the height above the Earth. You need to add the radius of the Earth to your altitude.

Thank you so much!

and also, if I wanted to find the force between the Earth and the satellite, would i use the equation for Force Centripital or Force of Gravity?

scoles said:
and also, if I wanted to find the force between the Earth and the satellite, would i use the equation for Force Centripital or Force of Gravity?

Think about it... Didn't you just state before that both equations are equal?

o i see... thanks!

What is a satellite and how does it orbit the Earth?

A satellite is an object that is launched into space to revolve around the Earth. It maintains its orbit by balancing the force of gravity with its forward motion. This allows it to constantly fall towards the Earth while also moving forward, resulting in a circular or elliptical path around the Earth.

Why is it important to find the velocity of a satellite?

The velocity of a satellite is important because it determines its orbital period, or the time it takes to complete one orbit around the Earth. This information is crucial for maintaining the proper positioning and functioning of the satellite.

How is the velocity of a satellite calculated?

The velocity of a satellite is calculated using the formula v = √(GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between the satellite and the center of the Earth. In this case, r would be 3600km above the Earth's surface.

What is the difference between geostationary and polar orbit satellites?

Geostationary satellites orbit the Earth at the same rate that the Earth rotates, resulting in a fixed position relative to the Earth's surface. Polar orbit satellites, on the other hand, travel in a north-south direction and cross over the Earth's poles, providing global coverage but at a slower rate than geostationary satellites.

What are some common problems that satellites face?

Some common problems that satellites face include damage from radiation or debris, loss of communication with ground stations, and malfunctions in their equipment or systems. Changes in orbital velocity can also cause issues with maintaining proper positioning and functioning of the satellite.