Satellite Help: Will it Stay on Earth's Orbit Forever?

In summary, the question is whether or not an artificial satellite in Earth's orbit can stay in orbit forever without any additional thrust. Some believe that the Earth's gravity pull is enough to keep the satellite in orbit, but others argue that a constant force is needed to balance out the gravitational pull. The conversation also touches on the moon's orbit around the Earth and the stability of orbits in general.
jsbhk
Forgive my rusty English. But I really need urgent and Professional help, teachers and professors, please:

A satellite has been put on Earth's orbit at a high speed, (forget atmosphere friction, forget moon attraction, forget sun gravity), theoretically, without any further thrust, will it stay on Earth's orbit forever?

Many people in my country told me it will, but I doubt it, because Earth's gravity pull is continuous (in acceleration = a), and the satellite needs force to balance out the gravitational pull (F=m a) as centripedal/centrifugal force, then the gravity's <a> has been canceled in the equation F=m<a>, since mass is constant, then that means WE NEED <CONSTANT> FORCE to balance out the gravity pull, that means the satellite needs CONSTANT Force to stay on orbit. Am I correct? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The moon is in orbit around the Earth, no?

Moon is under the Sun's gravitational pull, some scientists consider it not the satellite of Earth because its barycenter is not in the center of Earth. Some even called Earth-Moon a twin star. We don't want to go into it. Just wanted to know will artificial satellite centrifugal force need constant force to stay on orbit?

in other words, if an artificial satellite is circling the Earth, without any air friction, will it revolve forever without any thrust? Thanks!

jsbhk said:
Moon is under the Sun's gravitational pull, some scientists consider it not the satellite of Earth because its barycenter is not in the center of Earth. Some even called Earth-Moon a twin star. We don't want to go into it. Just wanted to know will artificial satellite centrifugal force need constant force to stay on orbit?
None of that is correct, but even if it were, how would that change the scenario? The Earth and moon are orbiting the sun and have been for billions of years...

What does that tell you about the stability of an orbit?

Anyway, your logic in the OP is odd. The Earth's gravity provides a constant F and the result is a constant acceleration of a mass. f=ma. Where's the inequality?

Last edited:

1. How long will a satellite stay in Earth's orbit?

It depends on the altitude and type of orbit the satellite is in. Low Earth orbit (LEO) satellites typically have a lifespan of 5-10 years, while geostationary satellites can last for 15-20 years. However, even with proper maintenance, a satellite will eventually run out of fuel and fall out of orbit.

2. Can a satellite fall out of orbit?

Yes, a satellite can fall out of orbit if it runs out of fuel or if it experiences a malfunction. When this happens, the satellite will either burn up in Earth's atmosphere or crash into the surface.

3. What keeps a satellite in orbit?

Gravity is what keeps a satellite in orbit. The satellite's orbit is a delicate balance between its speed and the gravitational pull of the Earth. As long as the satellite maintains its speed, it will continue to orbit the Earth.

4. Can a satellite be removed from orbit?

Yes, satellites can be removed from orbit by using thrusters to slow down the satellite's speed and cause it to fall out of orbit. This is often done to prevent space debris and collisions in busy areas of orbit.

5. How do scientists ensure a satellite stays in orbit?

Scientists use sophisticated tracking systems to monitor the satellite's orbit and make adjustments as needed. They also carefully plan the satellite's trajectory and design it to be as resilient as possible to external factors like solar wind and gravitational pull from other objects.