How do I determine the minus sign in gauge transformations?

In summary, the scalar potential is a mathematical function that describes the magnitude of a field, while the vector potential is a mathematical function that describes the direction and magnitude of a field. The scalar potential is the negative gradient of the vector potential, meaning that the scalar potential can be derived from the vector potential. Examples of scalar potential include electric potential, while examples of vector potential include magnetic potential. Scalar and vector potential are used in physics to describe and calculate the properties of electric and magnetic fields, as well as in other fields such as fluid dynamics and quantum mechanics. They cannot be measured directly and are theoretical concepts derived from other measurable quantities.
Petar Mali
[tex]\vec{B}=rot\vec{A}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{E}=-\frac{\partial\vec{A}}{\partial t}-grad\varphi[/tex]

If I define

[tex]\varphi=\widetilde{\varphi}-\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{A}=\widetilde{\vec{A}}+gradf[/tex]

where

[tex]f=f(x,y,z,t)[/tex]

I will get

[tex]\vec{B}=rot\vec{A}=rot\vec{\widetilde{\vec{A}}}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{E}=-\frac{\partial\vec{A}}{\partial t}-grad\varphi=-\frac{\partial\widetilde{\vec{A}}}{\partial t}-grad\widetilde{\varphi}[/tex]

But if I say

[tex]\varphi=\widetilde{\varphi}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{A}=\widetilde{\vec{A}}+gradf[/tex]

I wouldn't get that result. How I know how to take minus sign in this relations!

Physics news on Phys.org
The transformation for A is clear, because you want B to stay the same and you simply exploit the fact that grad(rot F) = 0 for any vector field F.
So then you can simply define [itex]\tilde\phi = \phi + \delta[/itex], write out
[tex]-\frac{\partial \tilde{\vec A}}{\partial t} - \nabla \tilde\phi[/tex]
and see what [itex]\delta[/itex] has to be to cancel the extra term from the [tex]\tilde A[/tex]-derivative so you get
[tex]-\frac{\partial \vec A}{\partial t} - \nabla \phi[/tex]
back.

Petar Mali said:
How I know how to take minus sign in this relations!

Another way to see it is with four vectors:

Define the (contravariant) four potential putting together the scalar and vector potential:

[tex]A^\mu=(\phi,\mathbf{A})[/tex]

and define the (covariant) four derivative putting together the time derivative and the gradient:

[tex]\partial_{\mu}=(\partial_t,\nabla)[/tex]

Then the gauge transformation is simply

[tex]A^\mu\longmapsto A^\mu+\partial^\mu f[/tex]

and the fact that you have to raise the index of [tex]\partial_\mu[/tex] yields the minus sign.

1. What is the difference between scalar and vector potential?

The scalar potential is a mathematical function that describes the magnitude of a field, while the vector potential is a mathematical function that describes the direction and magnitude of a field.

2. How are scalar and vector potential related?

The scalar potential is the negative gradient of the vector potential, meaning that the scalar potential can be derived from the vector potential.

3. What are some examples of scalar and vector potential?

An example of scalar potential is electric potential, which describes the electric field strength at a point. An example of vector potential is magnetic potential, which describes the direction and strength of the magnetic field at a point.

4. How are scalar and vector potential used in physics?

Scalar and vector potential are used in physics to describe and calculate the properties of electric and magnetic fields, such as the strength, direction, and energy. They are also used in other fields, such as fluid dynamics and quantum mechanics.

5. Can scalar and vector potential be measured directly?

No, scalar and vector potential cannot be measured directly. They are theoretical concepts that are used to describe physical phenomena and are derived from other measurable quantities, such as electric and magnetic fields.