1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scalar and vector potential

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1

[tex]\vec{E}=-\frac{\partial\vec{A}}{\partial t}-grad\varphi[/tex]

If I define

[tex]\varphi=\widetilde{\varphi}-\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}[/tex]

I will get

[tex]\vec{E}=-\frac{\partial\vec{A}}{\partial t}-grad\varphi=-\frac{\partial\widetilde{\vec{A}}}{\partial t}-grad\widetilde{\varphi}[/tex]

But if I say

[tex]\varphi=\widetilde{\varphi}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}[/tex]

I wouldnt get that result. How I know how to take minus sign in this relations!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The transformation for A is clear, because you want B to stay the same and you simply exploit the fact that grad(rot F) = 0 for any vector field F.
    So then you can simply define [itex]\tilde\phi = \phi + \delta[/itex], write out
    [tex]-\frac{\partial \tilde{\vec A}}{\partial t} - \nabla \tilde\phi[/tex]
    and see what [itex]\delta[/itex] has to be to cancel the extra term from the [tex]\tilde A[/tex]-derivative so you get
    [tex]-\frac{\partial \vec A}{\partial t} - \nabla \phi[/tex]
  4. Sep 2, 2010 #3
    Another way to see it is with four vectors:

Define the (contravariant) four potential putting together the scalar and vector potential:

and define the (covariant) four derivative putting together the time derivative and the gradient:

Then the gauge transformation is simply

[tex]A^\mu\longmapsto A^\mu+\partial^\mu f[/tex]

and the fact that you have to raise the index of [tex]\partial_\mu[/tex] yields the minus sign.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook